Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Fear Of Gall Bladder Sugery...Anesthesia Options?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Can they do gall bladder sugery using epidural anesthesia?...I am really scared(phobia) about going under with general anethesia to the point where I wont have the sugery done until I am lying on the emergency room floor dying in pain then I might agree to let them put me out. Please Help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2010
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out. The gall bladder surgery is done nowadays by the laparoscopic means. This is normally done by using the general anesthesia as it gall bladder is placed high in the abdomen and using the epidural and spinal anesthesia is not very safe. Once you are given a sedative, you will not know when the tube is inserted into your oral cavity and the anesthesia given. Please don’t be scared and get the surgery done under general anesthesia only. There are a few anecdotal reports of gall bladder surgery in patients of obstructive lung disease. However, this is a rarity than the rule.

I sincerely hope this helps. Take care.

|

replied June 16th, 2010
Hi i can completely understand where yr coming from.. i had cancelled my gallbladder operation twice making excuses because i was so scared of being put to sleep for the surgery. I had my surgery done 12 days ago after being made by my mum to have this operation done ( im 30 and still being told what to do lol )I cried all the way down to surgery and was in such a state they had to give me extra oxygen to help me breath, but all i can say and promise you is that it was not as bad as i thought it was. u dont remember anything i was trying to fight it .. this is my email address if u want to natter and ask anything as i understand 100% of how yr feeling ..
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.