Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Fear of Falling Asleep

Every night I have an intense fear of falling asleep. I hate the the thought of sliping into that first part of sleep which is blackness. The dreams scare me even more no matter the type. I wake up in the morning and I am fine. If I'm tired and feel like going to back to bed I can sleep for three hours more without the intense fear. I don't even know why I was afraid to begin with.
The thought of falling asleep scares me so much to the point where I break down sobbibg in my pillow or staying awake until 1 or 3 in the morning just to get myself tired enough to sleep. When I go to bed at earlier times it seems to make it worse.Also because I have to get up at six every morning to go to get ready for school, the week is long and torturous and at the end of the week I think to myself how did I make it through that?
I am also scared that because of this I may have to get a mental evaluation or go to see a shrink.
Please help me.

Cloudii
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2009
I understand that you have developed a fear of the feelings you get when you fall asleep. You mentioned that you are also scared because you may have to get a mental evaluation or see a shrink. You may not realize this but many many people go to therapists and go to doctors or psychologists for an evaluation. An evaluation is really just a conversation with someone who is really listening to what you're saying, asking you questions for clarification, and explaining to you how you might be helped. Some psychologists use questionnaires or other tests to find out more about what's bothering you and its cause. It's kept confidential. Seeing a therapist also just involves talking with someone who is professionally trained to listen and help you overcome your fears.

|

replied February 24th, 2010
Hi Cloudii,
i suggest you do some kind of meditation before you go to bed. It can calm your mind. 5-10 mins should be enough. Hopefully, it can get rid of your fear.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.