Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Fatty liver disease and diet

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Hi, my Dad has just been diagnosed with NASH.

The doctor has told him he needs to lose a small amount of weight (the doctor has never considered him overweight)
He is a dairy farmer so the work is labour intensive.
His blood pressure is a little high but he takes meds for that.
His weight is carried around his abdomen, like a pregnant women.

His diet has never been the best but he does eat fruits and veggies but also likes his candy and sweets.

Now he is wondering just what he can eat.
does anyone have any suggestions as to how he can better his diet, eg what foods he can eat and anymore suggestions.

his doctor just told him that he needs to change his diet immediately but did not say what he could eat or not eat.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 8th, 2008
Fatty Liver
A diet change is what the doctor ordered for me too. I was diagnosed on Monday with NAFLD (Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease). It isn't just based on if your overweight or not, or exercise or not. In my case it is. Fortunately for me, I've got the youth thing going on and the fact that we caught it so soon. The doctor told me that certain medicines like NSAIDs and Statins can effect the liver creating an imbalance that could contribute to NAFLD. NAFLD can turn into NASH if not taken care of soon enough. The fact that your dad has high blood pressure is a contributing factor to NASH. I've been doing a lot of research on it since Monday. The key is the diet for sure. Let's keep in touch and help encourage one another.
|

Hi
Thanks for letting me in on your experience.
My Dad has started taking a herbal supplement that is used to help treat liver ailments.
He has more energy and feels much better since taking it.
His colour has come back and he does not complain near as much of feeling sick as he once did.

His diet has changed, but he has just added more fruit and cut out most carbs,
keep my posted on what you find works for you.

good luck and once again thank you
|

I am glad your dad is doing better.

I've read up on the supplements. Milk Thistle seems to be the most researched and recommended supplement as well as the Omega-3 Fatty acids. Check out www.ahealthytip.com/FattyLiverDisease.htm? mid=13
It's very informative. It lists foods to avoid and food to eat. The diet my doctor and I discussed is the Weight Watchers Core Plan. It is a high protein diet with curbing your carbs and sugars. There are no refined sugars allowed. It seems pretty easy. Once I get used to it, I think I will be fine. They also recommend diets like South Beach and the Glycemic Index Diet. I go back in 6 months to have my enzymes rechecked. I really hope there is a positive change.

They are calling this disease a silent killer. Most people don't know they have it until it's too late. I have warned my a friend who has had gastric bypass surgery about this because she is at risk due to her surgery as well as her weight.
|