Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Fatal heart attack ?

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
It may seem like a stupid quesiton but my father suffered a fatal acute ruptured MI last week (with clot in circumflex artery). I'm worried that he suffered. I was there. He showed about 2 mins of discomfort in his chest while talking on the phone, then he just stared at the wall in front of him, took a sharp intake of breath, then fell forward. He had no heart problems before this, although we thought he was unwell with a mild stomach bug for two days....we were wrong. He then started the 'death rattle' noise.....me and neighbours tried to resuscitate, unfortunately i let valuable minutes pass with panic and calling the ambulance/neighbours. He was being resuscitated for about 1 hour and a quarter, at home and at the hospital. I'm worried that he suffered. I'm worried that we all just made everything worse for him. he didn't seem concious, but he might have known what was going on. I think i'll be heartbroken forever.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 7th, 2009
I also need to know because i have a terrible fear of suffocating and wonder if what happened to my dad would be experienced as suffocating?

People are saying it was a 'good way to go' - it didn't look good to me and he had so many dreams.
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
Watching anyone having a fatal heart attack is a horrible experience to go through, let alone watching it happen to a loved one.
It is hard to say what an individual feels when it happens to them, and i'm sure it is different for everyone, but first up, let me say that he probably did not experience suffocation.
It sounds like it went very quickly from "discomfort" to passing out. It would've been sudden and I'd say he was unconscious and not aware of what was going on. Rest assured that he'd know you did everything to save him, and sometimes there is just nothing that can be done. It is often the case that the first sign someone gets of a heart problem is the first time they ever get any chest pain. You did not doanything worse for him and did the best you could under the circumstances!!!
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
Heart attacks
Hi I have just lost my father under very similar circumatances, he took a very sharp intake of breath and died, we assume this is heart failure but are awaiting results. My father in law went the exact same way six months ago, the doctors told us it would be like switching off a light,(Heart Failure) they will have known nothing about it, I take comfort in this. Difficult to lose a loved one under any circumstances but this apparntly is a quick way to passaway and the individual usually does not know anything.
|

replied November 7th, 2009
Hi everyone

I found a simple website which explains everything about heart, heart attack, heart attack symptoms, heart attack prevention, heart attack causes, first aid and many more.

Visit www.heart-attacksymptoms.com
|

replied November 23rd, 2009
My experience of my cardiac arrest
Hi Rosemary,
I may be able to help you with your question. I'm a 46 year old woman and I just had a heart attack last Thursday during which I went into V-fib and had to be shocked at 2 different times (the second time requiring 2 shocks). What I experienced is that I started to feel worse (like my chest was getting tighter but not an awful feeling), then the next thing I remembered is feeling like I was dreaming, seeing a series of images which I can't remember (don't think I saw family who died, nor do I think I saw scenes from my life, but I don't know for sure). The dream-like state did not feel pleasant or unpleasant. Then I remember re-gaining consciousness, like when the EMT worker was yelling "can you hear me?". So, hopefully, your father had a similar experience, meaning that he went into an altered state when the discomfort or fear intensified, but he just didn't come back. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope what I'm sharing here is helpful to you.
|