Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Fast heart rate and palpitations

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
Hello, I have been experiencing palpitations for around 6 years, I'm 18 years old. I went to my doctor in January and I had blood tests and an ECG, the ECG read Sinus Tachycardia my heart rate was 117. I wasn't having palpitations during this though. I didn't hear anything back from the blood results and the doctor said the ECG was fine. I recently bought a heart rate monitor, which looks like a wrist watch and i kept an eye on it during the day, my heart rate was between 82-131. I experience palpitations around 2-3 times a day. I have fainted twice aswell, when I told my doctor he just nodded and said okay. I don't have a high intake of caffeine, I don't smoke and rarely drink alcohol. What could be causing this? Sometimes I experience pain across my chest but only a dull pain, very rarely sharp. My doctor has left me clueless. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for answers.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 2nd, 2010
Sorry to hear about your problems. I''ve had a similar thing but mine only started approx 3 months ago and tied in with a head cold. Initially I only had palpitations and ECG at doctors just showed high heart rate. Then I got chest pains and dizziness so was sent to hospital, now been in twice both times diagnosed as sinus tachycardia ( heart rate between 109-134 ). All tests normal but I did have a low grade fever so they think it may all be due to a virus. On beta blockers and see cardiologist in two weeks so hope to get some answers then. I''m 34, don''t drink/smoke/no anxiety and not high caffeine intake. I live in UK and have a good doctor.

I think you need to ask to see a cardiologist xx
|
Did you find this post helpful?