Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

False Positive on Syphilis Test

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
I recieved a false positive on a syphilis test, they ran a Reuhmatory arthritis test and it came up negetive. Can a false positive come up when I'm completely healthy? Should I insist on more testing?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile rooted
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2008
Supporter
When false-positive tests for syphilis occur, doctors request another blood test. The blood-screening tests most often used are either a RPR (rapid plasma reagin) test or a VDRL (Venereal Disease Research Laboratory) test. It is sometimes difficult to interpret blood tests for syphilis...therefore, repeated tests are often necessary to confirm the diagnosis. False-positive VDRL tests for syphilis are common, which is why the confirmatory FTA test — the one that actually shows the presence of the bacterium — is so important.
|

replied January 21st, 2010
false positive syphillis
i had a false positive on syphillis test, my gyn ordered some ANA, and ESR test, i have know been diagnosed with Lupus. Thanks to my GYN, that wanted to find out why the false positive....i am now being treated for my condition.
|

replied October 26th, 2011
rooted,,,

thank you, your post is so helpful, it makes me stay calm and lessen my worrying. I am so worried about it as the doctor called me for another blood test because she told me they found a syphilis and it seems false so they will check my blood again. hopefully i really don't have it.
|