Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Falling asleep too often

First off I want to start this by saying some of the thing I am going to put here is totally embarrassing, so please understand how hard this is.

I am 30, I have 3 kids, and recently married their father (in Feb of this year).For as long as I can remember I have fallen asleep easily. Watching TV, movies...in class...even in the middle of band in High School I would fall asleep sitting in the chair, instrument in hand. It’s not that I *want* to I just can’t help it.

In the last year or so I have been dealing with chronic feelings of being tired, no amount of sleep helps. I can go to bed as early as 8:30-9:00 sleep until 7am and still be tired. I don’t toss and turn, I don’t dream I just never feel rested. It has gotten to the point that I can be sitting at a table with friends playing a board game and drinking coffee...one moment i am awake and talking the next thing I know someone is waking me up. I fight all day to stay awake at work. I fall asleep eating..smoking...anything.

While this may sound strange it has started to take a huge toll on my marriage. My husband will come to bed at night and try to wake me up (he works 2nd shift) and I wont even roll over. I may on occasion push him away but never anything more. He has even go so far as to wake me up with sex and even with that I wont wake up. So he thinks I am not turned on or please by him..and doesn’t understand I have no control over what is happening. It hurts his feelings and is to the point we fight about me falling sleep on the couch or anywhere else so much that we don’t even talk anymore.

I have tried everything. If I am not standing up physically moving or working on something that requires my total attention at work 9 times out of 10 I will be asleep in less than an hour. My doctor has been no help and I don’t know what to do. I am looking at loosing my job, my husband..and if I fall asleep driving again maybe my life. Is this some type of sleep disorder?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 7th, 2010
Have you tried going to a sleep therapist?
|

replied May 12th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
It might be worth going to see your Doctor and mentioning this: Narcolepsy. It's a sleep discorder which causes exsessive sleepiness and frequent day time attacks.

Anything is worth trying and if you find the cause of what's causing you to be tired all the time and once you've got the cause, it makes a treatment plan easier and in the long term improve things on the home front too Smile all the best
|