Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Falling asleep during day

Hello, I'm a college student who has been having frequent sleepiness during the day. I get enough sleep at night usually around 7-8 hours on the average night. However I still find the need to take a nap during the day. It is common for me to be sitting in a class in the after noon around 2-3 and then have uncontrollable sleepiness. I try to stay awake, I try chewing gum, shaking my legs, or even just focus on writing notes, all of which fail. It almost feels like I'm blacking out. I've noticed some trends too. It usually is the worst around 2-3, the amount of sleep I get the night before rarely changes this, eating right before this time increases the likelihood that I'll fall asleep. I also fall asleep doing other activities during this time like reading, listening to music, or watching tv. Any tips, is this serious, how can I control this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper 2ndendo
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2009
Supporter
You may not be getting true rest when you sleep due to sleep apnea. Do you snore? To your knowledge, do you stop breathing when you sleep? Are you overweight? Are your tonsils or adenoids enlarged? All of these things can cause sleep apnea. People with sleep apnea stop breathing for short periods during the night. The result is that their sleep is disturbed- but not to the point that they wake.
|

replied April 11th, 2009
I took these things into consideration too. From what my friends tell me I do not snore, am a heavy sleeper, and I am not overweight, also I had my tonsils removed as a child.
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2009
Supporter
It sounds like you suffer from hypersomnia. It just means that you have excessive sleepiness during the day. (The term is also used for people who sleep too much at night.) It can be caused by sleep disorders, anemia and a whole host of other problems.
I think you need to see a doctor for your problem. I suggest you get a complete physical. Until then, I suggest you begin taking a good multivitamin to see if it helps.
Sorry I can't give you a better answer.
Good luck.
|

replied October 26th, 2009
hi. Im a mother of 3 and work p/t. I find i am falling asleep during the day as soon as i am relaxed and sit down, NOthng i do helps me stay awake. If i fight it i get dizzy and not able to function. I am looking into Accupunture too, do have migranes and am on regular medication. I always have had migranes, my sleep problem strated about 2 years ago. Can you advise please.
|

replied September 6th, 2010
I'm dan, I'm 20 going on 21 and I also fall asleep between 2-3 daily. I would be playing video games, reading, watching tv, even web surfing and all of a sudden I just get exhausted and pass out no matter how hard I fight, seemingly the more I fight it the easier sleep takes me. I really don't try to fall asleep but it happens no matter what I do. I am overweight, I think I snore (I've caught myself once dring one of these afternoon crashes), Don't know if I stop breathing while alseep, tonsils were removed at age 9. At night it takes me at least an hour to go to sleep, I get anywhere from no sleep to over sleeping no matter what time I go to bed, thing only thing the time I go to bed affects is how early I'll wake up. I wake up at least a minute before my alarm goes off. I've been like this for as far as I can remember. My friend tells me I have a sleeping disorder and says I should try sleeping pills. Anyone know if he's right about me having a disorder?
|

replied September 9th, 2010
My name is Vincent and I am 36 and I find myself nodding off at odd times and never had this problem before. My sleep is rarely deep as I wake up every three hours like clockwork to go to the bathroom. (No prostate problem though.) I am obese and I do snore quite loudly I am told. I have been checked for diabetes too and do not suffer from it as of yet, though I have been warned I am at high risk. These 'attacks' seem to occur more often just after I have eaten. High blood sugar? Anemia? When it happens my head gets this cold and clammy feeling like I have a cold wet towel wrapped around it.
|

replied September 22nd, 2013
Hi Katherine, and suffer am in a similar scenario to the OP. College/uni student, 7/8 hours a sleep a night, often just can't get anything done unless I take a nap during the day, tried everything like pinching myself to keep awake but it doesn't work.

I fall asleep in lectures, whilst reading/studying, anything that requires an effort to concentrate. I am fairly slim and do not fall asleep during conversation, in fact that's one of the few things that wakes me up effectively. I will feel awake/alert/energetic most of the day, it's just when I sit down/must concentrate in silence. If anyone has anything at all they could suggest trying, to help keep myself awake, that would really help. Don't really want to fail my degree this year.
|