Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Faking Seizures

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
How can you tell if an epileptic seizure is fake? And can you make yourself have a seizure?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bandgeek37
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Re: Faking Seizures
tinyshug wrote:
How can you tell if an epileptic seizure is fake?

You wouldn't unless you are a medical professional....

tinyshug wrote:
And can you make yourself have a seizure?

On purpose, I don't believe so...
|

replied January 10th, 2014
No ,most doctors can not tell the difference. It is hard to do so if they are not witness to an episode, even if they are just because they are a "Neurologist" does not mean they know or an expert in Seizure. Yes its true. Not all neurologists are qualified even to diagnose a migraine. There is a subspecialty like most other fields of medicine. Its like Drs are afraid if they know something they might have to use their brains and earn their money. Even so called fake seizure if in fact they do exist, just because there may not be an spike activity does not mean that there is not a biological cause. Many doctors are too quick to misdiagnosis as say the patient is faking . It doesn't have to be epilepsy. There are a host of causes of seizures. such as those cause d by cardiac problems, glucose / insulin problems, kidney problems, liver problems, even food intolerences and other metabolic seizures. No one would fake a seizure. Even some brain injuries from birth, sports activities and a bump on the head can manifest themselves years later. Maybe a person will only experience one seizure others may experience more and they can occur at any age. Even hormonal issues and brain tumors both malignant and begnin. Truth is we have a great many ignoramouses that call themselves doctors that do not have a clue. They are the only group of professionals that can still make a good living and graduate dead last in medical school. On last thing lets not forget the many, many side effects from prescription medications. Mine started with off purpose use of antidepressants Prozac and zoloft even the smallest of doses cause non stop seizures. So don't buy into psudeo seizures. A seizure is a seizure be it epileptic or not. Hope this help answer your question.
Writing by someone who has first hand experience with the subject.
|

replied August 9th, 2009
Why would anyone fake a seizure? They told me for years that I was faking them. Juat because no seizure activity showed up on the EEG's, they refused to believe I had them. They would not believe family or anyone who witnessed me. Yea, I really liked having no driver's license (14 yrs), losing alot of friends because of the stigma, having them in public and losing control of my bodily functions and almost dieing a few times (4) because of statis epilepticus. Just cuz it doesn't show up on an eeg doesn't mean you don't have them. One doctor insisted it needed to be on an EEG, so he told me he was going to infuce a seizure w/a grug, while hooked up to an EEG.After about 15 min, he said it wasn't going to happen and gave me another shot of valium in case I started after they disconnected me. I later found out that the med he gave me to induce a seizure was SALINE solution. He wanted to prove I was making myself take them. Just because you didn't have a seizure during or right before an EEG, don't mean squat. I later saw another doctor, and they monitored me in a room, hooked up and w/a video camera all the while reducing my meds.It took 2 days and they captured a whole bunch of them, of many varieties, pinpointed that they were coming from the scar tissue, that no one doubted, I had surgery and although I'm not seizure free, 1 noctural seizure every 2 weeks is a whole lot better than 1 or 2 grand mals a week and about 4 - 8 smaller types a day.
|

replied March 12th, 2012
That is what is happening to me, sorry I know this is off topic, but just friday, in school I went to the office because I was having a cluster of seizures, my boyfriend had taken me, and my bestfriend told my entire class, that I fake my seizures to get out of class. I don't see why people think Im faking it when, I didn't even know I was having them until people kept telling me I was having them, I would just wake up randomly in weird places drowsy. I don't get why people think your faking seizures just because they can't pinpoint why...
|

replied March 24th, 2012
same here. I'm currently hospitalized for it because they want to run some tests. I dont have regular seizures. Sometimes they are linked to emotions, rather than physical stressors. I have them when I'm too tired, or really upset, or really stressed. Not when I see strobe lights like some people with epilepsy.
|

replied February 16th, 2011
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have been through the exact same thing. I am going through a similar thing when I have partial seizures with doctors treating me like a mental patient because they don't acknowledge those as being seizures in this small town hospital unless I have an actual grand mal in which they are familiar with. I was a total nut in my last state and a half nut in this one. I cant win.
|

replied April 15th, 2012
There are Epileptic seizures and psycogenic seizures... non epileptic events are not faked, they are your bodies way of handling stress... epileptics often have both types... Someone could fake a seizure but those r few and far between and usually prisoners etc... Many seizures aren't seen on an EEG cause the focal point is deep in the brain...
|

replied August 3rd, 2012
I have a variety of types of seizures and was diagnosed a little over a year ago with epilepsy. They had been under control for a few months, and then about a month and a half ago i had a grand mal, followed by daily drop seizures and absent seizures several in a day. Im already on Lamictal 300mg and Topimax 150mg. Instead of helping us figure out the cause the doctor just threw a third medicine at it she wanted me to take Ativan every day twice a day. I asked my youth pastors wife about it and she said that if i took it that often it would basically make me comatose. So needless to say im not taking it. My doctor said she thinks im either on drugs or faking my seizures. Really makes me mad. We are in the process of switching neurologists. And to answer your question, i guess you kinda can fake a seizure cus a kid in one of my classes did it last semester to make fun of me.
|

replied August 3rd, 2012
I have a variety of types of seizures and was diagnosed a little over a year ago with epilepsy. They had been under control for a few months, and then about a month and a half ago i had a grand mal, followed by daily drop seizures and absent seizures several in a day. Im already on Lamictal 300mg and Topimax 150mg. Instead of helping us figure out the cause the doctor just threw a third medicine at it she wanted me to take Ativan every day twice a day. I asked my youth pastors wife about it and she said that if i took it that often it would basically make me comatose. So needless to say im not taking it. My doctor said she thinks im either on drugs or faking my seizures. Really makes me mad. We are in the process of switching neurologists. And to answer your question, i guess you kinda can fake a seizure cus a kid in one of my classes did it last semester to make fun of me.
|