Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Faking A seizure?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
Can a doctor tell once a person has been sent to the ER if a person faked a seizure? We had a woman at work appear to be faking a seizure but we sent her out just incase. Would the hospital be able to determine wether or not she was faking?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
An EEG might reveal some brain activity that is slow but not always. Seizures present in many ways. If a person was faking a seizure a nerologist who was observing the seizure would likely be able to tell if it was an actual seizure. Why do you suspect your coworker was faking a seizure?
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
because she threatened that she could go into a diabetic seizure at any minute bcause she hadn't gotten a chance to eat (yet she refused all breaks and lunches and I told her to go eat at that moment). There was a lot going on with her in the past several days threating this behavior. It was about 3 mins later that she had this so called seizure and just so happened to do it infront of the only family member in the entier facility (I work in a nursing home). When I came running down the hall to see what was the matter when the family member notified me I found her lying on the floor. He said she "lowered" her self to the floor with the hand rails in the bathroom then began shaking. She never fell and never acted different the few minutes prior to this happening. Her muscles were not contracting during this so called seizure her jaws were no clenched together actually her jaws were very loose and she had her tounge hanging out to the side like a dead dog. And only her right hand and head were shaking and not very much. She was not clamy, sweating, no rapid or slow heart rate. Actually her heart rate was normal ar 76. And to go into a diabetic seizure your blood sugar must be VERY low. And hers was very normal at 111. I beleive she is trying to sue the company. She's trying to claim that no one allows her to take a break and have time for herself to eat. This is completly untrue. And I have written statements from 3 of her co-workers backing up the fact that she was offered breaks and lunches on several occasions and refused to eat and did take a 15 min break where she refused to eat but claimed that she ate a huge meal right before coming to work. I don't know but the whole situation sounds really fishy to me. And as many people as I've seen have seizures before this one was the most bizarre. And yesterday she called out claiming she was sick. We even have employees that have seizures at least 2-3 times a month and once they gather themselves they go home rest and return the next day. I don't know but I think something is wrong here. What do you think?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2008
Doctor
According to your description of the event she might imitate seizure or she had hysteric attack. Sometimes imitation or hysteric attack can be very similar to a real seizure that doctor's examination is requested for precise diagnosis. If the "attack" is finished only EEG-test can tell us if she really had seizures or not.
Hysteric attack is result of neurotic disorder named as hysteria. It looks like imitation but it is not because that is the nature of the disease. Hysteric attack is usually provoked by some situation that is not pleasant for the person.
Hypoglycemic seizures are real seizures that can be easily proved by measuring the blood glucose level. If the glucose level is under 3.3 mmol/L seizures are probably due to hypoglycemia.
|
Quick Reply