Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

Factor V Leiden concern

Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
I have Factor V Leiden mutation. When I was diagnosed in 2003 at the age of 19, I was told that all I needed to do was take a baby asprin everyday. But the more I research and read on this disorder, the more I wonder if I should be doing more. I'm also considering getting my belly button pierced but I concerned that I may have issues with clotting and healing. Does anyone have some answers for me??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Calypso746
|

replied September 15th, 2011
Factor V
I would set up an appointment with a hemotologist. It's nothing to mess with FVL! I just had my twin sister(33yrs) pass for a clot caused from her FVL! They told her to do the same baby asprin a day, so my personal opinion and the more I research it as well see a blood doc and go over options with him! I don't think getting your belly button pierced would be affected, but if you aren't comfortable you can ask the doc that! Personally tho I think that you would be fine if you do it! Also I have a facebook page called forever deborah in honor of my sister and trying to raise awareness to factor V! It have alot of information on there and links! check it out,it's still new and I have alot of planned but I feel it is helpful Smile Also I will be doing a day in the life thing as my older sister(who has it as well I do not)sees a hemo doctor....so we can get a play by play on how they make it managable to live with! Hope this helps!
|

replied September 29th, 2011
My FactorV became active when i was 37 and pregnant with my daughter,she is now nineteen and also has been diagnosed with the mutation shehas had her belly button pierced with no problems.FactorV causes no problems until it becomes activated(in my case I believe it was the death of my premature son). This is when I suffered my pulmonary embolisms(long story)Your Factor V then becomes FactorV Leiden Mutation Activated Protein C Resistant.Please do not worry mandybug I have relatives in their 80s who have Factor V and it has never become active.The doctors are aware of your condition and will provide the correct treatment especially if you get pregnant.Any questions feel free to ask as I have survived this mutation and all it has thrown at me since it became active.
|

Thank you so much for the info. I have a 9yr old daughter and a 6yr old son. I haven't had either one tested, partly b/c i'm afraid of what the results may be. I did get my belly button pierced 2 wks ago. LOL!! Yay! I do have a question that you may have the answer to. I want to start taking vitamins but i'm not sure if the increase of certain vitamins/minerals will cause problems. The more research i do on this disorder the more i'm aware that the best thing for me to do is eat healthy and stay active/exercise regularly.
|

Calpso746 is RIGHT! I totally agree....there are so many people that live with it! Some are never affected at all....which is a wonderful thing! This is something that can be mantained with proper health check ups and just basic knowledge! Great advice Calpso746! And I really am happy to hear that you are doing so well with it. Smile T that is the topic of an interiew that I did with our local news station. It will air tonight! I am excited to raise awareness...this is my goal! Just to get people to know they have it and then they can live normal! A dr is doing the interview looks like he did a wonderful job with giving lots of information! Like I said before I do have a facebook that raises awareness and has (hopely) helpful links to find out more about FVL. Please join and you could even give you accounts of you life with FVL. I believe we can help people just from making them aware that they have it. Like calpso746 said...lots of people live with it and if you know and the drs know then shouldn't be an issue ever living a normal life! the facebook is forever deborah....I will post the link from the interview as well! Take care and God bless you both! Ps the vitamens....in research I've done there are some(weirder ones) that can cause increased risks. But just basic ones I feel are safe! You are right Healthy living KEY! Vitemans become more of an issue when you are on blood thinners everyday! Smile
|

So sorry....forgot the "y" in your user name! Smile
|

replied September 30th, 2011
I do have a facebook page but rarely use it,I would be interested to join although my story may be a little worrying to some people who have had no problems with their Factor V.Once it gets activated it is like riding a rollercoaster, so many ups and downs, but hey I survived and my story might provide information that can help someone experiencing the same problems.
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
I have Factor 5 leiden and prothrombin gene mutation. does anyone have both of these?
|

replied September 6th, 2017
I have factor v Leiden and I have to have daily clexane injections I do myself for the rest of my life
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2017
I have FVL small cuts or piercings won't hurt. if you happen to be on blood thinners like me you may bleed extra but not a whole lot extra. things to watch out for are really bad falls or bruising to deep tissues that can cause scaring and more clots. if you aren't on blood thinners you will bleed a lot less than people who don't have FVL, in fact you blood that comes in contact with air will clot almost instantly at least that's how it is in my case which in the past before i started developing clots inside was a real life saver. now it's mostly a painful drag...anyways i get a few scrapes here n' there and it doesn't make matters worse inside just have to keep gauze and medical tape handy.
|