Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Facial numbness (left cheek area), occasional left arm numbness

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Before anyone starts saying it was a stroke, or a mini-stroke I'll stop you right there.
Back in December, I had to go hospital complaining of facial numbness on the left side of my face, numbness in the left arm and some chest pain. So I had several tests as part of something to find out if I was having a mini-stroke, having before hand had an assessment from paramedics on the ambulance ride to the hospital to determine if I might be having a heart attack. No heart attack. The tests from the hospital came back negative, I had the blood test which was fine, the ECG which was fine etc, I had an ultra-sound scan on my throat (weirdly interesting experience), and a CAT scan. The Neurologist at the hospital prescribed me one month's anti-platelet medicine (just in case) whilst waiting for the results of those tests, just to be on the safe side. I got a letter saying basically there was nothing major to be concerned about - which was in early February.
Since then I've still had the odd numbness going on. So I went to see the doc at my local medical center.
My doctor tells me he reckons it's anxiety related. What I don't get is I don't feel anxious. I'm not panic stricken, although I have strangely developed a fear of open spaces, something which I'd never experienced before - and there aren't many wide open spaces where I live...except for the car park, which unless I mentally ignore the open space, sometimes makes me feel unsure of myself and a little wobbly at the knees.
I'm not having much luck with the doc, who seems to think all's well.
I eat pretty regularly, but I don't eat three square a day (can't afford to), and I very rarely drink (which doesn't have any negative impact on me).
I really have no clue whatsoever as to what I might be doing wrong that causes this.
Nor do I know exactly what I can do to make it stop.
Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|