Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Extremely Painful Menstrual endometriosis? or dysmenorrhea?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hello,

I am a 20 year old female and I have extremely painful cramps during my menstrual cycle. I begin getting cramps about a week before my period starts, and the cramps become much worse once I actually get my period. I got my first period when I was 13 years old, without much significant pain. I continued to get my period, somewhat regularly (I generally get my period on the same day, but at times it can be three to four days late or early). I didn't have any kind of intense pain during my menstrual cycle between the ages of 13 and 16.

When I turned 17, I began to notice a significant amount of pain during my period. Over the last four years, this pain has gotten progressively worse. At this point, I cannot function at all during my period. I get such severe cramps that I often can't move at all, I can't even leave my bed. I have passed out due to the pain, though this has only happened five times. I often throw up because of the pain, and have very painful bowel movements. I can't control my body temperature and get chills, or get so hot I'm pouring sweat. The pain becomes so bad I can't talk, eat, or drink anything (whatever I do eat or drink won't stay down). This has certainly affected the quality of my life, and now the pain has gotten so terrible that I am missing almost a week of school every month.

About a year ago, my doctor told me that I had a Vitamin D deficiency. I read somewhere that this can cause menstrual pain. My dr gave me a prescription for Vit D, which I took, but I saw no significant improvement in my period pain. I now take a multi-vitamin every day and also supplement that with liquid Vitamin D pills. I have been taking 4 vitamin D pills a day during my period, and one multi-vitamin. It seems to be helping, only slightly though. Can my body really be so deficient in Vitamin D that I need to take 4 pills a day to see improvement in my health? I'm essentially getting 400% the Daily Value of vitamin D.

In all other aspects, I believe my period is basically normal. I don't have a very heavy period, and the blood is a healthy color. I have noticed that there are sometimes "clots" in my menstruation, I don't know what this is or if it could indicate something wrong.

I have gone to a 2 gynecologists, my primary physician, Drs at my school, and have gone to the emergency room 4 times (mainly because I throw up so much that I start to have blood in my vomit, which freaks me out, but also because I can't deal with the pain). My primary dr put me on oxycodone for the pain, but it just knocked me out. Even though the pain was gone, I still wasn't able to go to school or function, and that's what I'm trying to do--be able to function on my period again.

Could I have endometriosis? Or is this just dysmenorrhea? Could my period pain have to do with my vitamin deficiency? Is there anything I can do to lessen the pain other than using pain killers?

PS. My dr also told me that I have good Iron levels, so I don't think I'm anemic though I don't know. I also had an x-ray of my uterus and was told it was fine, I don't know how you know if you have endometriosis or not....But please let me know what you think or just give me any kind of pertinent advice. Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|