Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

extremely high white blood count

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
newborn has extremely high white blood count and they are starting him on antibiotics. What would cause this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 26th, 2008
Supporter
Infections cause white blood counts to rise. White blood cells are the immune system fighting off infections.
Antibiotics should solve the problem.
Hope your little one is fine.
|
Users who thank Marianne0558 for this post: jsbevard 

newborn extremely high white blood count what is this
Thank you so much. I was really worried.
|

User Profile
Supporter
No need to be worried, trust me-there are going to be plenty of times in these first years that the baby will need to be on antibiotics. Antibiotics are used for a variety of infections, from ear infections, to colds, to skin infections.

Think of it in this sense, your little baby is already creating immunities to fight off future infections. The more colds and things the baby catches, the more immunities their body makes to defend.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I don't think a high white blood cell count is an actual problem, it would be WHY the count is elevated. Are there other symptoms that your baby is experiencing?
|

replied May 22nd, 2009
kayla
our new baby has a high wbc and is week and not feeding well what is the cause?
|
Quick Reply