Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Extreme thirst, Frequent urination

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Where do I even begin? I am 23 and for the past 3 weeks or longer, I have been experiencing extreme thirst, frequent urination (large volume), headaches, lack of appetite and right lower back pain. I drink lots of water, no caffeine at all. I have been to the doctor twice and no answers. I do not have diabetes, and my thyroid is fine. I am convinced that it is calcium related. The first doctor visit my Ca level was 9.4 (normal 9-10.5). The second doctor visit, 6 days later it was 10.1. I am staying hydrated, but everytime I drink water I urinate it out less than an hour later. This is especially bad in the mornings. Neither doctor has an answer for me. I don't know where to go from here or who to see next. I have also had a CT done on my abdomen and pelvis and it didn't show any abnormalities but my cysts on my ovaries and a small hepatic hemangioma (1.6mm). I was wondering since I am staying hydrated, am I keeping my Ca levels in normal range? What kind of doctor do I need to see next?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MyrahU
|

replied April 10th, 2009
You need to see a urologist for possible IC and if you are clear there go see an endocrinologist to check for diabetes insipidus which relates to your pituitary gland, or your kidneys. You can look up the symptoms both can cause frequent urination. I have been having the same symptoms and was also cleared for the blood sugar/diabetes. Let me know what you find out.
|

replied October 16th, 2009
Hey i get this same symptom from time to time. Don't think of it as an internal issue in which a system in your body is out of whack. The truth is if you are drinking a lot of water and constantly urinating it out within 30 minutes to an hour after drinking, it means that you are almost completely depleted of electrolytes and you are simply not making good use of or retaining the water efficiently. The body's main electrolyte is sodium/salt and this is released every time you urinate so i would recommend taking in plenty of sodium throughout the day while drinking water. Your lack of appetite is making your symptoms worse because you probably aren't taking in much sodium from various foods. It is very easy to drink lots of water without taking in sodium and urinating several times and in effect depleting your body of what sodium it has left. Don't be surprised if a lot of mainstream doctors don't have an answer. They rarely do because they are so focused on WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR BODY and HOW TO FIX* YOUR ILLNESS rather than what does the body need to function properly and heal itself. Our body's have amazing ability to heal but only when we give it the proper tools. Most doctor's don't know a thing about healing and only know how to give you a prescription drug that doesn't REALLY work. Most health problems are very simply solved. But they try to make it seem like a complete mystery. The two biggest causes of health problems today are 1. dehydration 2. mycotoxins in the grains we eat eg. corn, wheat,. I would highly advise to stay away from corn- it is the most infected of all grains by mycotoxins and can be devastating on the body in general but especially on its ability to heal-immune system.
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Are you on any medications? Tons of medications cause dry mouth and throat, leading you to drink more water, leading you to urinate more. Some medications, such as allergy medications can cause headaches and even back pain. I had to stop taking Allegra because it was giving me lower back pain. Read the information about the side-effects of any medications you take, even over-the-counter stuff (look online for the side-effects of those, not just on the bottle).

I agree that you should also make sure you are getting enough electrolytes with your water. Sodium, potassium, calcium, etc. If you urinate an hour after you drink water, this doesn't mean you are urinating out the same water. Your body is trying to keep things balanced. Is the urine usually really clear or light yellow, or is it dark yellow?

If it's defiantly not any medication you take, I think it would be prudent to have your kidneys checked. I agree that a urologist would be a good next step. Have they done a urine test?

Calcium deficiency doesn't really cause the symptoms you are describing. It causes muscle spasms, cramping, twitching, and slight numbness (usually starting in the lips). Plus, both blood tests (although different) showed results in the normal-range. If you had something that caused a calcium imbalance, you wouldn't be normal just for the tests.

I hope you can get a diagnosis soon. Good luck. Let us know if you have any more questions. Also let us know what the doctor says. It may help someone else on here in the future.
|

replied December 24th, 2009
thirst and frequent urination
HI, i had been having extreme thirst and frequent urination for about 4 months, i knew something was wrong because i never used to drink very much at all, i hated water and i remeber being able to go a full day without drinking anyhing and using the washroom, so when my need to drink so much all the time and urinate so often i knew something was wrong, i went for a blood test and my blood sugars came back fine because the doctor sent me for the wrong test she then proceeded to send me for another wrong test finally after seeing another doctor i found out i had type 1 diabetes, i suggest seeing another doctor who knows you could have diabetes doctors are not always as reliable as we would think!
|

replied February 16th, 2010
you could also ask for a Vitamin D test, because that affects calcium and also many other things in the body, like the adrenal glands. Having too little Vitamin D can cause excess serum calcium. And if you do need to take Vitamin D, make sure it is D3 and not the 50,000 IU one that the doctor might prescribe, because that one is actually D2 not D3. Lack of Vitamin D is associated with cardiovascular disease and diabetes and is actually pretty common in the US today because we don't go outside as much as we should, even in the Southern US.
|

replied June 21st, 2010
frequent urinate
hye...i have been having the same symptoms for about 4 years..and i got to say life is hard for me. i will keep urinate 30 min after i drank water eventhough only half of cup. because of lack of water, i suffer constipation everyday that sometime its hard for me to remember when is the last time i did not have constipation. i had diagnosed my blood, urine, bladder and kidneys but they are just fine. i dont know what to do next. now i only relay on concentrated fruit juice to relief a bit of my constipation. i hope someone could inform me what to do next..( i'm not having active bladder for sure)
|

replied February 2nd, 2012
I have experienced the same symptoms for the past 5 years. I have consulted two doctors and an urologist. I have had blood tests, urine tests and a prostate biopsy. Both doctors and the urologist have said that there is nothing they can do to help me and they don’t know what is causing my symptoms. I have done some research on my own. TENA, a manufacturer of products for a weak bladder commissioned a study in France, Poland, Britain and South Africa to look at possible solutions to the problem. The researchers suggested exercising the pelvic muscles regularly and avoiding common bladder irritants such as sugar and sweeteners, citrus fruits and juice, tomato-based and spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine and dairy. The researchers reported 49 percent of patients who’d followed these guidelines were completely cured. I am focusing on pelvic floor muscle exercises, changing my diet and drinking at least two liters of water a day. I have found that if I have enough water in my body I can prevent the headaches and quench my thirst. The exercises and new diet help reduce the number of times I urinate. I hope that this helps.
|