Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

extreme fatigue and foggy (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Alright, so I've tried going through my health providers here locally to figure out what's going on with me to no avail, so I figured I would try the vast world of the internet as a final resort. Here's my issue(s):

First off I am a 27 Year old 203 lb Male and have been pretty healthy my whole life & am not taking any medications. This all started about 2 years ago (actually maybe up to about 6 years ago, but the symptoms were sporadic and few and far between, it became constant about 2 years ago). Now, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it or not, but I want to mention everything, especially because I read anxiety may play a role in this, BUT my symptoms got bad and persistent right after a big break up with my (at the time) fiance. I suffered a tremendous amount of anxiety as a result and that was when these feelings really came on. However, like I said before, these feelings were there well before then too, when everything was all happy and care free in my life, just not as persistent as they are now (and now too, my life is back to normal and I'm completely happy and dont have much anxiety, but these symptoms still persist.)

OK so before I get ahead of myself let me explain these "symptoms": I am feeling, every waking moment, every day, completely out of it, spacey, foggy, dreamy, unreal, in a daze, kinda confused, hard to concentrate, sleepy, fatigued, without motivation or inspiration, I sleep alllll the time (on my breaks at work, in the shower, as soon as I get out of work) my memory is slipping, and just drained. After 2 years of this now I'm really getting frustrated and just want my life back. It is becoming unbearable.

What I have done so far: Been checked for lyme disease, thyroid is fine, nothing found in my blood tests. Then went to a psychiatrist and was put on anti-depression meds (zoloft for a period and something else, I forget). And while they seemed to help my mood, they weren't helping the underlying symptoms I previously described, so i was taken off them in order to take care of this initial problem first. Now, rewinding a bit, when I was seeing a shrink to help get through the break up I mentioned before, I explained to him these feelings and he thought that sleep apnea may be a road to explore because he's heard of people with sleep apnea having these same feelings and once treated they claim to wake up the next morning "a completely new person". SO after I had no luck with the psychiatrist I went back to my PCP and asked about the sleep apnea thing. He referred me to a pulmonologist who said it sounded like thats what I had. So I waited a month for a sleep study, then another to get the results. Well today I got the results and, wouldn't you know, I slept perfectly. No apnea at all. He said there were some leg movements, but didnt think they were enough to interrupt my sleep enough to cause the way I was feeling during the day, and I left the office without much advice. Confused

So where do I go from here? Any thoughts? Back to the anxiety for a moment. Now I have had issues with anxiety in the past, and used to have this feeling accompany an attack immediately afterwords (this was in like 1999), but it would go away in a few minutes. But again, this is now 24/7 for 2 years. Would anxiety still be a cause even though its so persistent? Other times I can recall experiencing this feeling before it became so persistent is about 6 years ago I woke up one morning with this feeling, noticed it, was kinda scared, but it went away. other times it would usually only come on at night. But again NOT accompanied by any anxiety, just kinda out of nowhere.

2 More things I would like to mention (I know this is long but I just want to cover all my grounds so I can get the best answer):

1st, When I was in college, I smoked a lot of pot (college years were from 2001 - 2005). I'd say about once a day for the majority of that period. Is what I'm feeling being "burnt out"? Did i really do that much damage to myself? Why dont the other "pot heads" I know feel the same way if this may be the case?

2nd, When doing a search on these symptoms some websites about Candida Yeast issues came up. I took a quick test and came up with a score of 132 (it said if men score higher than 90 then systemic yeast is prob present, 140 or higher then its almost certainly present). Some of the questions I wasn't sure about, so my score may before off a few points here or there. Does anyone out there know much about this Candida thing? Could this be whats wrong with me?

Ok I think I've covered everything. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Again, sorry about the lengthiness of this post but I just NEED to get this under control.

Thanks in advance guys!
-Ry
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lolakira
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2008
Doctor
It seems to me that you don't like to accept that you have mental disorder so you search for various diseases (sleep apnea, lung damage from smoking, yeast infection...) all the time. Did you quit the antidepressant on your own or by doctor's order?
When all medical tests excluded any organic damage the only possibility left is having some psychiatric disorder probably depression. Your symptoms (spacey, foggy, dreamy, unreal, in a daze, kinda confused, hard to concentrate, sleepy, fatigued, without motivation or inspiration, sleepiness, my memory is slipping... ) are very common for depression.
You should consult some psychiatrist about your condition.
|

replied June 24th, 2008
After we gave a chance for the meds to get into my system I told the psychiatrist that while my mood seemed to be a little better, the under lying symptoms I had complaints about were still very much present and unchanged. The doctor himself said that there wouldn't be any medication I could be put on that would take those specific symptoms away and that I should stop taking the meds he prescribed to me if they were not giving me what I wanted and then look into the sleep apnea thing. Please note that I am not trying to avoid ANY particular cause or solution to this, I will do whatever it is I need to. If you think I should try another psychiatrist, by all means I will. Also, while i understand these can be signs of depression, why wouldn't I actually feel depressed? I'm generally a pretty positive person and in a pretty good mood most of the time. Is it possible to have physical symptoms of a disorder without the psychological ones? I could understand the anxiety thing because I do still get pretty anxious at times and get the jitters here and there out of nowhere, but like I said in my original post, why would all these feelings be so persistent even though the ACTUAL anxiety is only spotty. Please forgive me for my ignorance, I'm just trying to understand what's happening with me.
|

replied July 25th, 2011
Foggy Brain
HI,

Try to find a NAET practitioner in your area. This will work for you I'm pretty sure. It will clear your allergies as long as you stick with it. Your foggy brain will clear and at the same time you can clear for the emotions that linger. It is amazing.

allergies are the key.....
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2008
Doctor
Depression can be often covered with episodes of anxiety and symptoms of various diseases that are not present for real (somatoform symptoms). Depression in fact could lie in the base of many of the neurotic disorders (anxiety, panic disorder etc.).
Antidepressants need time to act and patients with depression also need psychotherapy.
It is very important to exclude any organic disorder that can be manifested with similar symptoms. I believe you excluded all organic possibilities (thyroid disorder, neurological disorders etc.)
You can consult another psychiatrist.
|

replied June 25th, 2008
extreme fatigue and foggy
Sounds like classic Chronic Fatigue. You simply experience anxiety with your Chronic Fatigue.
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2008
Doctor
Diagnostic criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome are to experience:
1. Extreme FATIGUE of at least 6 months duration which is triggered by disproportional demands, is unpredictable, does not improve by rest or is worsened by physical or mental efforts,
2. And having at least 4 ADDITIONAL symptoms (also persist for more than 6 months and didn't show before fatigue):
- post-exertional malaise:
- reduced memory/concentration;
- sore throat;
- swollen lymph nodes;
- painful joints and muscles;
- headache;
- sleeping problems;
- fibromyalgia;
- irritable bowel syndrome.

As I could notice you have only 3 symptoms from this list (FATIGUE, SLEEPING DISORDER (sleepiness) and REDUCED CONCENTRATION (confusion, foggy...)) which are not enough for you to be diagnosed as chronic fatigue syndrome.
|

replied June 25th, 2008
- post-exertional malaise:

(if this means all i do is crash and go to sleep after exerting myself then we can check that off)

-painful joints and muscles

(I get horrible pain in my knees at times, and constantly have a soar back... not sure if its at all related but its there)

- IBS

(not exactly sure what that is, but I know my "movements" in the morning are usually loose...)

- headaches

(not usually a head ache but a lot of "pressure")

not sure if any of this helps or just makes it more confusing...
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2008
Doctor
Well, the thought is that as many different doctors you visit more different diagnoses you can get.
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
Hi DryFlyRy,

I have exactly the same things going on symptom wise. I was worried that I was going to get Schitzophrenia or had a tumour. I was convinced that I had Depersonalization Disorder. Still think I do, or did. I'm unsure. I'm a highly strung anxious person, I also have OCD. deep depression and anger issues (due to this horrible debilatating brain-fog and unreality/lack of emotion ...ya da ya da), but I have all of the symptoms you described. Funny thing is, even though all this is going on in my head and heart, I'm an outgoing bubbly student, great relationship, home, family. It's strange. My onset was literally overnight after a VERY stressful period, I snapped into unreality. People can't even begin to realise how much this sucks.

My advice is, never ever stop looking to get this problem sorted, and when you do, let the rest of us know. There are thousands searching for a diagnosis and aren't given one. There are more and more links to diet and health for mental problems. Maybe a food intolerance test?

It sounds like your problems are caused by mental trauma, acutely, because of your break up. Some kind of post-trauma. You might think you're fine, I thought I was, then my whole world went upside down. I would advise that you maybe pay for a FULL body MOT. Mental and Physical, dietry ...just everything. Life is too short not to know what this is.

Sounds like because of the trauma, your brain has switched off. Mine did. You need to find the way to jump-start it again. Most doctors are useless, but you'll find that one who's willing to do what it takes.

I wish you the absolute best of luck.
Melanie
|

replied February 7th, 2009
Have you looked into the possiblilty of narcolepsy (a condition where you sleepy all the time and have difficulty staying awake).I was looking at the section where u stated "I sleep all the time (on my breaks at work, in the shower, as soon as I get out of work)." I am not a medical expert so you would really need to see your doctor.
|

replied February 18th, 2009
i have all the same symptoms. i have been checked for just about everything, including a tumor on my adrenal gland. i had a very traumatic childhood due to a birth defect of my kidneys. i have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression twice and i'm starting to believe that i have depersonalization disorder.

for almost three years while i was taking lexapro the symptoms almost completely went away. now for no apparent reason the symptoms have come back. i hate it, it's like my good life has been stolen from me. i've changed the dosage of my medicine and i am waiting to see if helps
|

replied May 15th, 2009
foggy head
I have very similar symptoms to you - foggy head, troubles focusing, more tired than usual, but I don't think I'm as tired as you (from what you describe). I experienced a very traumatic/stressful period about 3 years ago and i was put on a fairly high dose of effexor. I felt great for about a year, and then since I have gone down abit in my dose because I started to feel like a zombie. Over the past 1-2 years I have had the symptoms i mentioned above. Sometimes i wonder if its becuase of effexor - so I am trying to go down slowly. i figure if my symptoms don't get worse, then its better that I'm not on these medications. It literally feels like I'm walking around in abit of a bubble - like there's a transparent wall between me and everything else - disconnected (?)

I feel you're frustration, but don't stop looking for things that will help you feel better. I take 1000 IU vitamin D/day and fish oils for omega 3 fats, and eat regular healthy meals (so important!). I do aerobic type exercise at least 3X/week and I also do neurofeedback. I'm hopefull i'll feel better and I know its a journey.
Smile
|

replied July 17th, 2009
PHARMACEUTICAL MEDS
do not take any pharmaceutical medications ever. they are horrible for your brain and will cause relentless symptoms ffffarrrrr greater than whatever you felt before taking them......warrrrrning!!!!! doctors will tell you you're "depressed" because its easy!!!! the food we eat has chemicals in it....these chemicals can cause our brains to be "sick". if you have problems, deal with them...talk to someone, pray. get it all out....but dont turn to meds!! they will completely mess you up!!! they are chemicals on the brain and they will make you crazy!!!

even stevie nicks suffered from these pharmaceutical drugs. (see stories on left hand side on website.) the pharmaceutical companies do not care about our health and are only out to make mmmoney....and lots of it. period. meds will destroy your brain. you wont be the same. i read about this all the time....look at all the "stars" that are said to be going crazy. they aren't crazy....they're on pharmaceutical meds. hello?
|

replied August 25th, 2009
response to dry fly ry (adrenal fatigue, vital exhaustion)
I had very similar symptoms and I finally figured out (I think, with no help from a bunch of useless doctors and tests - yes tested adrenal glands, thyroid, lyme disease, etc - 'nothing wrong' supposedly) - anyways, I think that it was a combination of what they call 'vital exhaustion' and adrenal fatigue(just because your adrenal test comes out 'normal' doesn't mean that you don't have a problem). Here are two books you should really check out to see if they might apply to you:

ADRENAL FATIGUE: THE 21ST CENTURY STRESS SYNDROME (BY DR. WILSON)

CONQUER FATIGUE IN 30 DAYS (BY DR. ELIZABETH WALKER)

You can research 'vital exhaustion' online - they are just starting to learn more about it - they first started studying it in relation to heart attack patients but they are slowly starting to learn more. Interestingly, 'vital exhaustion' has symptoms very similar to depression, but other than maybe help you sleep, if you have 'vital exhaustion' anti-depressants are not going to help you that much I don't think (at least they didn't help me very much). Vital exhaustion often shows up in people that are completely overworked and stressed out and you just finally 'crash' (adrenal fatigue can be similar).

Anyways, how I finally cured myself -

I cut back my work hours as much as I could

Started doing whatever I could to get good consistent sleep (I used sleeping pills for awhile just to start getting back in the rhythm of getting a good nights sleep)

I started an exercise plan - nothing too strenuous - just walking is good - if you have adrenal issues you don't want to get your adrenaline going too much until you are feeling better. If you DO have an adrenal issue (check Dr Wilsons book - dont trust the lab test you had run) it is important to avoid ALL things that can get your adrenaline going until you feel better (no crazy workouts, no scary movies or action movies, anything that can get your adrenaline racing). Also caffeine and alcohol hurts your healing - yes it sucks - but I wanted to get better.

I started taking a good multivitamin and Omega 3 complex (see Dr Walkers book), and started to take Vitamin D because I wasn't getting out in the sun alot (talk to your local vitamin store - someone KNOWLEDGEABLE - about a good dose for you if you think you need it. Oh and I started taking Primadophilus Optima (expensive, can get at health food store - its refrigerated - it is basically supercharged acidophilus) but it helps to get your 'inner workings' more regular and healthy after so much stress.

I also started doing two shots of Xango every morning (now I do not sell this stuff, and frankly I am 51% sure this stuff is a scam, but I am feeling better now from all that I am doing so I don't want to change anything until I am completely well so...take this advice with a grain of salt). Plus Xango is really expensive so...

And most important, I rearranged my life so that I started going out more with friends, started doing more things that I enjoy doing, and basically started focusing more on 'playing' and taking care of myself and RESTING as much as possible.

Ok - you may have other issues than what I had and may have some serious psychological things going on so don't ignore those. However, you might want to try what I did and at least see if it starts to help. By the way, after starting to do all this, I barely noticed a change for the first month and a half. Then, I started to notice an improvement slowly but surely. It takes awhile - super sucks because I am a runner and I'll tell you having to only WALK for almost a year was really lame. But yes a year later I feel like I am almost healthy. Good luck!
|

replied September 13th, 2010
Trust YOURSELF! DONT LISTEN TO NIKOLA!
Dr. Nikola definitely seems like he has an agenda, and I hope you do NOT take his advice seriously. Listen to your body. You know if there is something wrong "organically" as he called it. You will find the solution, and when you do please share, as I am searching this topic for my own symptoms. Blessings.
|

replied January 24th, 2011
I had identical symptoms.
I'm quite professionally accomplished and it took a bit to admit to being mentally ill but I have been diagnosed as bipolar. Lamictal killed the fog immediately, depacote eventually stopped the irritability/rejection sensitivity and Saphrin enhanced my sleep and balanced everything nicely. I take klonopoin on rare occasion when I'm "stressed". In addition to lifting "the fog" I am far more "in the moment" and emotionally connected with everyone in my life. Many people suffer from fog but it is not often considered a true symptom. My goal is to post in similar forums weekly to help others. I suggest you at least look into it, I have my life back.
|

replied October 19th, 2011
Re:
Did you ever figure this out? Slowroad2recovery is onto something with recommending you look into adrenal fatigue. It can cause you to have low cortisol which can give these foggy, fatigued symptoms. Look up cortisol online. Under extreme stress, you can create a cortisol deficiency that will last years. I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist or naturopathic doctor to investigate your adrenal health.

My naturopathic (NMD) doc says these symptoms can also be caused by a yeast buildup (an organic acid test can help diagnose this). Yeast releases 11 different toxins into your body, which can impair your immune system, make you tired, etc. Another thing to look for is metal toxicity. An NMD would be skilled with this too. Metals can build up from old water pipes, lead paint, new construction, lots of things. It could be something from when you were younger.

My symptoms are similar, and I'm investigating myself. Hope this helps somehow.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied October 19th, 2011
Just found this link. Talks about causes of brain/head fogginess and fuzziness. I thought it was really helpful. http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/brain_fo g.htm
|

replied December 1st, 2011
I have had anxiety my whole life. I worry about anything about my body. I've been on and off paxil my whole life. I stopped taking it like a year and a half ago. And just started dealing with my anxiety. I started taking Benadryl 4 months ago 3 times a week to help me sleep at night because I was only getting anxiety when I was going to bed. About a month ago my anxiety has been really bad, I can't think clear, I feel like I'm in a dream, i feel faint around when I am pms. Loss of energy, and lack of motivation I haven't been feeling like my self. I went to the doctor and got blood tests done and they said everything was normal my thyroid and everything. I just dont know what's wrong I think i got a little depressed from taking that Benadryl. I heard it can cause depression, I've never been depressed or felt like this in my life. I just want to feel like myself again. It's been a month since I last took a Benadryl. My doctor perscribed me Zoloft but I dont want to be a anti depressiant but I might have to because I wanna feel happy and like myself again.
|
12 >>