Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Extreme Asymmetry in my Breasts

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
From a very young age, I have had highly asymmetrical breasts. My right breast is a 38D, my left a 38A. I am essentially flat, and slightly tuberous, on my left side, while my right is a generous handful. I pad my left bra cup with three socks to even out the difference because I would never feel comfortable walking into a lingerie store to get gel pads for my left side.
A simple breast enhancement surgery wouldn't fix my issue, either, because it is not only the size of my breast itself that differs, it's the size of my areolas. My left is about the size of a quarter. My right is nearly three inches in diameter. It's disturbing and has taken it's toll on my self worth over time.

I wouldn't want to get breast surgery anyway, because I think it would make me feel worse rather than better. I wouldn't want my left breast to stop feeling like a part of my body, as I'm sure it would, and I would feel shallow and selfish for going under the knife and spending so much money for something that was purely cosmetic.

My first thought was perhaps hormonal issues, which I was hopeful about, thinking that that could be fixed without surgery. However, this asymmetry was not only from the time I hit puberty (around age 9). My father told me that when I was born the left side of my chest seemed to be caved in slightly, and when he asked a doctor about it at one of my check ups, the doctor was unconcerned and said it was nothing.

After spending a fair amount of time online, I found galleries of photos with women with the exact same issue, and they all has a congenital breast deformity that caused their asymmetry. As far as I have seen, there is no way to make my breasts symmetrical if I have this problem, save for getting surgery.

I have not been to a doctor or had a check up ever since I hit puberty and my problem became noticeable. Now, I want to get on birth control and I am nearly certain that I will have to receive a breast examination where I am getting it.
This is an extremely uncomfortable idea to me because no one has ever seen my breasts except for my boyfriend, who I have known since I was only 11. And reading words such as 'deformity' and 'mutation', even when used medically to describe someone with my issue, has got me feeling like more of a sideshow attraction than a woman.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for by posting this topic...I've never really spoken with anyone besides my boyfriend about this before, so perhaps just letting it be out there is what I really want.
However, anyone with similar stories or information about what could possibly be done about my breasts, besides surgery and what I am doing now, is entirely welcome.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Anonymia
|

replied April 27th, 2013
I know you posted this quite a while ago but I had the same exact problem, got surgery and it's 100% better. I didn't want to have the surgery but it was completely worth it! My right breast was a 32 D and my left was a 32A. My right breast also was tuberous and the areola was 2 times the size of my right. The right was also sagging about an inch lower than my left. I had a reduction and lift on my right side where they cut my areola to match the left side. And then I got implants in both so they would look symmetrical. I was really worried about the surgery but the recovery wasn't nearly as bad as I expected! My breasts feel completely mine and no different than before the surgery. I am now a 32 D and my breasts are completely even. My doctor said it was one of his most difficult cases but I couldn't be happier with the results. I had the surgery 3 years ago and I think they are even getting better with time. The one piece of advice I have though is make sure you research a ton! And see as many doctors as you can, most won't charge for a consultation and you can really get an idea of who you feel the most comfortable with. They see asymmetry all the time so there's no need to feel embarrassed. Also excess weight or losing weight can make the problem worse so I would recommend getting the surgery with a weight you think you can maintain because losing or gaining a large amount might ruin the results. Don't feel like its vain or you're getting plastic surgery! Severe breast asymmetry is a birth defect and just like someone with a clef lip or other very visible birth defect would have surgery to fix it, you deserve to feel good about yourself and comfortable in your body.
|
Did you find this post helpful?