Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Extrem Differences in Blood Pressure

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
Hi,
If I am measuring my blood pressure in a lying position it is around 125/85. But if I am measuring in a sitting position my pressure rises up to 145/105 and stays there. At my daily workout (mix between walking and slow jogging) my blood pressure increases up to 166/115. Are these extrem differences normal ? I mean especially between a lying and a sitting position ?

A 24hours meassurement shows bad values during the day (140/100) and good values in the night (120/80).

Any ideas ?

Best regards,
Marc
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2010
Hi, Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out.

Blood pressure variations do keep on happening throughout the day and variations also tend to occur due to the change in the positions from the sitting to lying down and with exercise.

However, in all such variations, the blood pressure shouldn’t shoot beyond 140/90 mmHg.

As you have mentioned that there are several readings which go beyond the mentioned upper limit, I sincerely feel that you need treatment for hypertension. Please consult a physician for the same.

You might need further tests like an EKG, Echocardiography, lipid profile, kidney function tests etc before starting the treatment for hypertension. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.