Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Extra skin above vaginal opening

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
There is a extra skin right above the vaginal opening, small, loose, not hurting, or no feeling at all. looks like a piece with a small hole inside. Don't know how to explain it. like a tennis racket without wires, and of course lot smaller. Basically looks like a cap over the vaginal opening, but not that big. Is this ok? Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Krky
|

replied August 9th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
That is called a hymen. It is a leftover from your development as an embryo when the skin covered the vagina to keep it clean. The hymen is actually a mucus membrane, not just skin.

Physical activity, sexual activities or tampon usage will make the hole bigger and eventually make it go away altogether.

Hymens come in all shapes and hole sizes. From what you are describing it sounds like yours is annular - like a cuff or ring around the vaginal opening. Depending on your age, your changing hormones during puberty can make it change size and thickness.
|

replied August 10th, 2009
Thanks for your reply!

I don't quite think it's a hymen. I'm not talking about that hole. Am sexually active, use tampons etc. What I'm saying is that there is a piece of skin with a hole in it, on the outside, above the hole that you have just described. It's very thin, looks like an ear lap, a lot smaller tough, with no function at all. Neither skin nor hole have any function at all. It's just there, doesn't make any trouble when it comes to sex, or whatever. no feeling at all. Was wondering if that's smth bad, or unusual, or should i start freaking out?
|

Especially eHealthy
The only hole above the vagina is the urethral opening (pee hole). It can have a ridge around it to look like a doughnut. This doughnut can also be sunken into the vulva floor so it can have a definite ridge on the outside of the doughnut as well.

There should not be skin with holes in them flapping around inside the vulva. If you did
not have your first gynocological exam yet, perhaps now is the time.
|

I guess i go to see the doc these days. btw, a hole is the one u can see trough..no channel to lead anywhere else.. I'd say it's just a skin, but i better be sure.

Thanks a lot!
|

replied March 17th, 2010
Me too!
i think I have the same thing you do and it weirds me out... have you figured out what it is??
|

replied March 17th, 2010
Yeah, I went to doc. She says it's just a hymen "leftover". Basically she saw it but didn't react at all (as i had the pap test and other check-ups). After I asked, she was actually surprised that i asked and said that it's nothing to worry about. SmileI could have imagined that it was something like that, but the shape of it looked a bit weird to me. That's why i panicked. So, susan862003 was right! Smile

Maybe you wanna check it out too. I know i slept better after talking to doc. Smile
|

replied July 18th, 2011
vagina
i have a bit of skin at the top of my vagina and its shaped like a 4 leafed clover but small and skin coloured it doesnt fell pain if i touch and pull it but its coming from inside my vaginal opening any ideas what it could be ? thanks x
|

replied August 7th, 2014
Hi, I have the exact same thing. Did you ever find out what this is?
|

replied September 8th, 2011
I have an extract skin not by my vaginal hole but close to my citorous it look like a little prick it does not hurt but itcy at time some time i feel like it grows very slow over the years. i hope that it is not harmful to me when i get more older what it could b..? thank u
|

replied August 15th, 2012
extra skin above urethra
Did you ever get a response to this? I have the same thing. It weirds me out. I have had several paps and even catheters inserted over the years for other medical reasons and NO ONE has ever said a word about it.
|

replied March 8th, 2013
access skin around vagina
After delivery, I had a access skin piece which doctor removed but after that at another corner of vagina, it appears, that also my doctor remove but now I have again.. Should I need to remove? Is it something serious..?
|
Quick Reply