Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

external occipital protuberance

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
does anybody's ever hurt if you press on it. Mine will hurt when I press on it or especially on the bottom of it. But I don't think there is anything wrong since it's just bone and probably nervy. Just wondering if it happens to anyone else.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 7th, 2009
External Occipital Protuberance pain
Yes, I have a painful / tender spot on or just below the external occipital protuberance.

I noticed it a about a week ago, and whilst it is not overly painful, I am now 'aware' of it as a constant nuisance, and can't help subconciously pushing on it / rubbing it lightly frequently.

As this is an older post, I wonder if 'freeze22' ever found out whether it is a cause for concern?

I also have tender lumps behind the centre of my ears that i noticed in the same way over a month ago.
|

replied March 26th, 2011
I think I might have the same problem!
I have a lump in the middle and on the back of my head right above my neck. It hurts a little sometimes when I press on it or tilt my head so it touches my back.

I have had it for about a year or two and it bothers me occasionally, like when I dry my hair with a towel, try to look up, or hit my head. It's small and hard to find if I feel for it.

My mom is taking me to the doctor to check it out, and we are a little worried. My Uncle (through marriage) died from brain tumors when I was two years old.
|

replied January 25th, 2013
same here!
I have the same condition as you guys.. so JBIEBZ what happened to your consultation? I'm starting to get worried..
|

I have the same condition as you guys.. so JBIEBZ what happened to your consultation? I'm starting to get worried..
|

|
Quick Reply