Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hemorrhoids Forum

external hemorrhoid... cut it off?

User Profile
need help i have a external hemorrhoid its the size of almond or a jelly bean when its not inflamed its been almost two weeks. i have done the whole home remedies changed my diet, drinking lots of water stool softner fiber supplement and seen a doc she just gave me proctosol.i have discomfort moving sitting when i changed my underwear i say what looks like discharge like faint blood but not when i use the restroom I am pain when i use the restroom i just need to know when is it going to stop and go away. when will i see improvement or what are the signs or should i go to the extreme and see another doctor and say cut it off. i am at my witts end i just want to be me again i want to run and play with my son and now he is afraid to use the potty cause he heard mommy scream when she went potty please help me

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2012
(online)
Hemorrhoids Answer A31385
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

To treat the lump or hemorrhoid as you call it, you have to first confirm that it is a hemorrhoid. Then only treatment for hemorrhoid will help. The lump could be a prolapsed hemorrhoid, a skin tag, a benign rectal tumor, a rectal polyp, a rectal abscess, genital wart or a hematoma. Consult a colo-rectal surgeon to find the cause. Most doctors can diagnose hemorrhoids by clinical examination of the anal opening or by proctoscopy (inserting a proctoscope, an instrument to visualize the anal mucosa better).

Meanwhile, there are hemorrhoidal creams available in the market which you can apply. To reduce pain before passing stool you can apply xylocaine jelly. Sit in a tub of warm water for 10 mins at least twice a day. Increase fiber in your diet. Eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, oats, porridge etc. Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. In addition you can try bulk stool softener such as psyllium (Metamucil) or methylcellulose (Citrucel). Remember too much of fiber and not proportionate increase in fluid can also cause constipation.

If all these measures fail, you will need surgery—either conventional or laser. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hemorrhoids , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.