Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

Explosive headache after sex

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I am a 38 year old healthy male. 6-days ago I experienced the worst headache I have ever experienced in my life during an orgasm. It was so intense I thought I was going to pass out. I had no idea what it was. A couple day later the same thing happened; both episodes happened after having sex with my girlfriend. I did some research on the topic and was surprised, yet relieved, that this is not so uncommon for males.

The issue is that I have had lingering effects since those two episodes. I have had this steady pounding in my head that goes from behind my left eye all the way to neck. My eyes cannot focus from time to time and with that a nauseous feeling without throwing up. I have tried Advil to no avail. I have abstained from any activity since the second episode. Some parts of the day are better than others however I am going on a week since the first episode and I am concerned about the lingering effects.

Please advise...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper LovinSoCalLife
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2009
Supporter
Sex Headaches (Coital Cephalgia)
These headaches can occur because having sex raises the blood pressure and causes muscle tension. The blood pressure rise also raises the pressure in the head and can lead to a headache.
Do you have high blood pressure or have you been checked for high blood pressure? If your BP is too high, getting it under control can help with the sex headaches. Also, taking a pain reliever an hour or two before sex helps to prevent sex headaches.
As for the ongoing problem, that is way out of my league. I think a visit to the doctor is in order.
|

replied August 11th, 2009
possible remedy
headache after sex? try the amino acid called L-Carnitine, it seems to help my symtoms.
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
I suffer from the same problem. I spent the $5,000 on the ER visit, CT scan, and follow ups to figure out I was just going to have to deal with the headaches. If it is the first time you have experienced these headaches I would recommend seeing a neurologist. If it is a simple coital migraine you will feel a great sense of relief. Plus they can prescribe something like Imitrex to help get rid of the headaches. And if it is something more sinister they can find it and fix it.
|