Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Experiencing high blood pressure at night

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
User Profile
I have recently developed HBP. I am 45 yrs old, 5'5", 155 lbs, and have a good diet. My BP ranges from lows of 108/72 to a high of 163/103 at the ER 2 nights ago.

My cardio did a nuclear stress and echo - both were OK. He didn't want to put me on meds because most of the day my BP is OK. It raises at night, pretty drastically. In the evening I am home alone watching tv, reading or using the computer (nothing stressful). Now that it is clear that my BP reaches levels that are too high he agreed to meds.

Last night I started on cardizem. Today I have an awful headache - but what concerns me more is that my throat felt tight for hours last night. I could breathe fine and swallow - perhaps it was nerves at taking the new meds?

Should I continue the cardizem for now and see if that goes away? Any thoughts on what might raise BP only at night?

Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2010
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A12367

Given the data you provided (high blood pressure only at night, taking cardizem-generic name: diltiazem, headache, throat felt tight for hours), you might have experienced headache and tight throat as side-effects of the therapy.

Many medications that are used to treat high blood pressure need up to two weeks to take full effect. The side-effects might be present until then. Simply give your body time to adjust to the new chemical you take in. If the symptoms last longer than two weeks, then you might want to visit a cardiologist to consult about the side-effects and whether treatment changes are needed.

The reason why your blood pressure is high only at night might be because of anxiety. It is well known that in the evening, when all sounds stop and all lights are off, the brain has no more outer perceptions to help it to suppress the worries.

When the problems arise, the person might feel anxiety and might experience high blood pressure. You might want to consult with the cardiologist to see if 24-hour ABP monitoring is needed. With this method your blood pressure is measured for 24 hours. Meantime, you are supposed to go through your normal activities, but to also write them down. Afterward, the data is analyzed and the doctor might check when and what activities trigger your high blood pressure.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.