Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Excessive wiping and Anal tears

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hello all,
I have had the same problem for as long as I can remember. Whenever I have a bowel movement, I have to wipe over and over before the toilet paper comes up clean. Often this excessive (but necessary) wiping causes tears on my anus, which bleed and reopen the next time I go to the bathroom, making it very painful to go. Then I have to wipe and the whole process starts over again. when I examine myself in a mirror (not easy to do!), I can see some large and swollen wrinkles, and small tears, and these correspond to the very painful areas.

I have found that using a bidet is the only thing that will remove the need for excessive wiping, and thus resolve the bleeding issue. Minor anal douching when I start to feel raw and sore also helps to alleviate the pain.

I feel I have found a solution but I still don't understand the problem. Why does it take so much wiping to get clean? I don't feel like I'm "doing it wrong", or using too much pressure, as it is the number of times I wipe, not how hard I press, that hurts me. I don't have any leakage between bowel movements, I go regularly and my poo seems healthy. I don't have any other abnormal digestive symptoms, and this is a very persistent and consistent problem. Does anyone know what might cause this?

As for my diet, I have been vegetarian for about 7 years, and eat very little dairy and almost no eggs. Becoming vegetarian did not affect this issue at all. I eat a lot of rice, cereal, and noodles, as well as tofu. I am currently living in a country where fresh fruits and most vegetables are too expensive to eat daily, but I do what I can. I have been underweight most of my life, but have recently gained enough to be in a normal range.

Any guesses would be appreciated, thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

From the history provided here, presence of cuts in the anal opening could be due to-

1. Excessive wiping results in dryness and erosions at the anal opening, which may get infected and inflamed, resulting in pain.
2. Chronic constipation induced anorectal fissures. Hard stools can cause excessive pressure on the delicate anal mucosa, and hence result anorectal tears and fissures.

You might consider getting yourself examined by your physician. A rectal examination will provide conclusive information.

In the mean time taking OTC laxatives may help to relieve your constipation.
Sitz baths, application of preparation H cream can help relieve the discomfort and pain during bowel movements.
In addition switching to better soft, unscented and absorptive toilet paper or using a bidet would be better options.

I hope this helps.
|

replied November 30th, 2012
I don't usually bleed unless my stool is really big and hard. BUT I did have the same wiping problem for 2 years. I tried antibiotics, probiotics, Metamucil, a colon cleanse, dairy free diet, gluten free diet, sugar free diet, got my stool tested, got my blood tested, & went to 2 Gastroenterologists. None of this helped.

Earlier this week I finally found the solution from different forum: squat while you're going #2. Sounds weird, but so far all 4 times I've tried it, I ONLY HAD TO WIPE ONCE. Which never happens. I tried putting a foot stool on either side of the toilet, and that worked. I also tried standing on top of the toilet (I weigh 150 lb. & so far the toilet set hasn't cracked or anything) and squatted over it while I pooped. If you search "squatting toilet platform" you'll see photos of how to do it. It is hard on my knees even though I'm only 26 because I've had 2 knee surgeries, so I don't know what I'll do when I get older...

The websites say that Asians & Europeans & toddlers in diapers all squat hunched over their knees to take a poop, and this is the natural way to do it. The way we do it, sitting up, poop can get stuck in your butt- not all of it comes out.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.