Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

excessive phlegm,difficulty swallowing

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I am a 73 yrs old Parkinson's patient. Lately I've begun to have
excessive phlegm and difficulty swallowing. This has affected my speech and eating. This began about two months ago. I also have difficulty bringing phlegm up in order to eject it. It is a very thick, ropy substance and is very difficult to expel. It hangs up in my throat and stops anything passing, making it very
difficult to eat. My doctor suggested Mucinex and it seemed to help at first, but not lately. I eat a lot of dairy products (love milk and ice cream) and would hate to give them up. Any thoughts?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 6th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
It's the dairy products that are making your problem worse. Plus anything citrus, like grapefruit or lemonade. There is one thing you could try that worked for me a bit. You drink 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar once or twice a day. Mix it in alittle water and drink it down fast. It's not great tasting, and I usually grab a piece of sugarless gum after I drink mine, but it did cut some of the mucus, and actually lowered my blood pressure a bit! I read that it worked, and tried it, and it helped me. I don't do it every day, but I should, because I did notice a difference just with doing it a few days in a row. Don't know if it will work for you, but it's worth a try. I suffer from the same thing you have with that pglegm, and it's so annoying! My voice is raspy, and I can't expel it out either, but with the vinegar, it seems to loosen and go down easier. There is good vinegar at the health food stores, Bragg is one, but you can use regular too and it will work ok. Hope it helps you!
|

replied July 7th, 2009
Thanks a lot--we will try it!!!
|