Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Excessive bleeding and large clots

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I have been having problems with my period for the last 3 months. I had missed my period for 2 months, then I started my period 10 days ago. I did take a pregnancy test to rule that out, which had been negative. I have had very excessive bleeding now for 10 days with large clots the size of half dollars. I have been bleeding over 30ml a day. Which could be worse I know, but over 10 days that seemed like allot. I am fatigued and nauseous all the time now. I called my Dr's office and they only sent me for another pregnancy test, which of course was sill negative. They didn't seem to concerned, and said if I "still wanted" to see my doctor it was up to me. I feel like passing out all of the time, and the earliest they could get me in was next week. Should I be concerned, or am I just bleeding so much because I missed 2 months. BTW, up until now I have always had regular 28 day periods lasting 4 days and always very light, my entire life. And I'm only 29, so perimenopause is out of the question.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 11th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
Perimenopause is NEVER out of the question. I have heard of women your age beginning the change. It's not the norm, but it does happen. The doctors don't help much because they all think you have to be in your 50's for menopause to take place. I started at 35. If it continues, and you have it checked out, and they find no other problems, you could very well be starting early. Did any of the women in your family start early? Check with them and see. That should give you a good idea, and also on your father's side of the family.
|

replied August 11th, 2009
I'm pretty sure no one on either side has started early. Is it possible for it to be something else; I don't even want to think about this yet. I haven't even had kids yet. I know my mother had a endometriosis. But I don't have any cramping. I just know somethings not right. I've always been very regular and light. It just seems to never end, and each day I seem weaker, dizzier, and more nauseous. And each day the flow seems heavier, not lighter.
|

replied August 12th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
You could have the same thing your mother had. Have yourself checked out by the doctor for any other possibilities. Of course it could be something else, but you won't know that until you see the doctor.
|

replied August 13th, 2009
are you on any birth control?? I think you would have mentioned it - I had my period 3 times in one month because of a bad reaction to birth control - heavy heavy bleeding and huge clots -

ask to get transferred to another doctor - they need to take you seriously - get an ultrasound of your uterus taken - then the procedure with a camera view of your uterus lining (I'm so sorry - I don't remember the name of the procedure)

I wish you all the best!
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2009
Experienced User
you could get your obgyn to preform the outpatient laporoscopy... they go in and look at your female organs and uterus and etc..
|