Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

ESWT last week, but still miserable

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Well I guess I should say that the discomfort from the one stone that's now disintegrated seems gone, at least. But I feel worse now than before anything was done (except the Cipro for the infection that first brought the stones to my attention). I'm getting pain now, mostly on the L side where two big stones are/were but also on the R side where: 1) the urgent care Dr said were at least 5 stones, both sides and ranging from 3mm-1.8cm, 2) Uro #1 I saw said I had a 6mm one blocking on the R, in addition to the two large ones and 3) the current Uro says there's nothing there on the R side at all, except a "shadow" he didn't feel was a stone... I'm confused.

A day after the ESWT (a week ago today) I had blockage that sent me to the ER. Couldn't pee. THe very next night I went back to the ER again because of the pain on my L side (10mg percocet did nothing that I could tell). I was given more antibiotics. I still have some pain immediately after urinating, slowly subsiding but seems the output is getting less now. Should I increase to gallons per day, instead of quarts? I still have enough pain to keep taking the percs - mostly on the L side, plus it feels like I've been punched right in the middle of the stomach.

Urinalysis at my followup yesterday still showed infection. I have a low grade fever. I'm well into my second round of antibiotics, how did this happen? And, what else can I do.

And I don't know if it's just those nasty percocets, but it seems like I'm losing my mind. I got lost on the way to the Dr's office. Unthinkable that I'd get lost, esp. getting to a place I've been to more than once very recently. Bought things I can't remember buying. Sort of like a blackout after a night of heavy drinking, but no way have I been. There's still swelling in my ankles. And I have some mild nausea I've never experienced with percocet before. My appetite's down & I have trouble finishing meals.

So now I'm worried about the outcome of this infection, and what the state of my kidneys is becoming. My Uro spent most of the followup appt explaining why he doesn't prescribe anything better than percocet, and how so few patients have the trouble I'm having. And I still have at least one other large stone that needs to be blasted. This aftermath is by far more miserable and painful than the discomfort of any lodged stone/s. Not to mention getting far less sleep.

But to the question: Should I be worried about losing kidney function, here? Does anyone have any advice or insight to share? Seems to me more than one thing is going on. Check for diabetes or something, maybe?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

Pain that originates due to renal issues (Stones, infection) is episodic , spasmodic or colicky in ‎nature, ‎‎‎originating in the flank and radiating to the lower belly, inner thigh. It is ‎associated with other ‎‎‎symptoms like nausea, vomiting and systemic features due to any infection. ‎ ‎

Renal pain does not resolve with change in position nor with adequate rest and can even cause ‎sleep ‎‎‎disturbances.‎ Urgent pain relievers and specific treatment is needed in such conditions.

Recurrent pain in a patient with a confirmed renal stone - usually occurs due to -

1. Descent of the stone or its fragments through the urinary tract.
2. Injury of the ureter or the urinary tract mucosa - caused by the stone or the fragments during its descent. This can result in blood or mucoid secretions in urine.
3. Improper healing of the injury - resulting in strictures within the urethra
4. Possible infections of the urinary tract along with the stones.

You may consult with your treating doctors who can provide you better pain medications (which need prescription) and rule out other possible issues causing your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.