Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Estimated GFR dropping....

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Good Morning,

I am hoping for some feedback on test results as I await a retest. 36yo male. I had two large-ish kidney stones in May of 2013 that were blasted in late August 2013. I then passed a stone on my own five weeks ago. I followed up with my urologist yesterday.

My estimated glomerular filtration rate had historically been in the high 80s. During a hospitalization for pneumonia in 2011 it exceeded 100, and was in the high 90s during a 2012 physical.

When I went to the ER in 2013 with my first kidney stone it was 87. I needed pain meds a few days later at the ER and it was 59. A couple of weeks later it was back to 87. I thought I passed the stone and went on with my business, but it moved in August and I went back to the ER. I was back to 59. They blasted the stone, and in followups over the 2013-2016 I was between 85-87, as recently as October.

The reason for my post. During an ER visit five weeks ago when they found a stone (February), I was at 76. I passed the stone within an hour, and for my followup two days ago I was at 57. We're repeating labs in a week. Creatinine is 1.4, tying my highs. I'm concerned that it is the lowest I have been without trying to pass a stone. I do have consistently high uric acid levels and due to a gout flare was off allipurinol during the lab. The uric acid was 9.9 at the same time.

Should I be excessively concerned over the low GFR or could the recently passed stone and uric acid level play a factor?

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2017
Presence of a renal stones or having Gout flare ups does not interfere with the GFR values.

If the GFR is reducing and the serum creatinine levels are rising, it could be indicative of progression of chronic renal disease associated with various medical conditions, hypertension, etc.

Consult a nephrologist or your primary doctor who can guide you properly.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Pneumonia
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.