Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

erection pain after inguinal hernia (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I found the following post that describes my pain exactly. It has been three weeks since my surgery, any feedback that answers this problem would be appreciated.

i had a hernia operation about 5 weeks ago, and since the 2nd week i've been having pains in my penis, particularly whilst getting erections. I dont the the medically correct term to describe what is actually hurting, as the doctors keep saying there are no 'tendons, ligaments or cords' in the penis, but for the sake of this topic i'll use the term 'cord'.

Theres two cords on either side of the central vein on the upper side of the penis, that you probably wont realise that they exist untill one starts dramatically hurting and possibly get tighter. I had the operation on my right side, an inguinal hernia if thats the correct spelling/name, and had a mesh put in. Every time I get an erection, the 'cord' on the right side of my vien starts hurting at the base of the penis, and it feels like the cord has somehow got a lot tighter (due to the extension of the penis on the erection obvously). I've traced this cord from an area originating in the head of the penis, through skin on the base of the penis, to an area around my hernia operation scar where the cord goes deep beneath the skin.

My presumption is that the swelling area underneath the scar is in the way of this cords natural course/home/nieche, causing it to take a new course around the swelling, making it considerably tighter in the event of an erection. This leads me to ask a few questions:

1) has anyone else had this problem?
-did it go away eventually?
-how long does it last for?
-how did you fix it?
-please tell me more...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hoser1234
|

replied May 31st, 2008
For those who read this and are symptimatic the answer appears to be a blood clot, referred to as a "cord" by Doctors'. Veins can clot after surgery giving it the feeling of a cord under tension. Good news is this will go away on its own with time, probably a few weeks...so I am told. I will post a response in a few weeks if this is the case.
|

replied May 31st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Keep us posted.

I am going through so much with my hernia repairs and the mesh.

Best Wishes..Smile
|

replied June 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Very common in the scrotum area and the penis area. As the above posts say. You should have some relief soon. Did the surgeon tell you to use off and on ice for it?
|

replied December 23rd, 2008
Pain in penis after inguinal hernia surgery
Hi Hoser1234. I have exactly the same symptoms you describe. I had right inguinal surgery 2 weeks ago using the open Shouldice Method. I have quite a bit of swelling along the so-called healing ridge. Its like a hard block of raised tissue under the entire length of the incision. The scrotal swelling subsided after the first week.

My pain in the "cord" or ligament of the penis is exactly as you described and started around 11 days post-op. It feels like a hard wire or cord that I can trace from the base of the penis near my incision to near the tip of the penis. It feels really tight and uncomfortable when I get an erection and I can feel a constant pulling sensation.

Was this temporary for you? Does it go away when the healing ridge starts to flatten out?

Please let me know.
|

replied December 29th, 2008
inguinal hernia repair
I sympathise completly with these gents as following my own inguinal repair my symptoms are the same.I am 12 mths down the line with no abatement.I will retun to see my surgeon next week jan 9th 2009 but dont hold out much hope.

colin
|

replied December 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: inguinal hernia repair
hernia wrote:
I sympathise completly with these gents as following my own inguinal repair my symptoms are the same.I am 12 mths down the line with no abatement.I will retun to see my surgeon next week jan 9th 2009 but dont hold out much hope.

colin

Keep us posted with your doctor visit but most of all keep us updated with your health. This is a nightmare for many.
What type of mesh did they use to repair your hernia? Your surgeon will have this in the op report. It's important to know what type was used, as many meshes were recalled and many people are suffering from their hernia repairs.

All the Best..Smile
|

replied February 6th, 2009
Erection after hernia surgery
You guys are lucky. I had my prostate removed
and had little or no erection afterwards one year later. Now I have had Inguinal hernia surgery 3 days ago and I doubt that I will ever rise again in that I am sure whatever erectal nerves were left from the prostate surgery have been damaged even more from the Hernia surgery. Anyone out there see any hope for me out there ? Is there anything at all that I might be able to do to get the flag to go up the pole again??

Robert
|

replied May 14th, 2009
Hernia and Enlarged Prostate Victim
Hello,
just read the blogs and I too have been suffering with serious burning pain all around the base of the penis, either when erect or just from physical contact. Also, I can have a weak orgasm, but with no discharge...
I'm 54, and it seems like I'm going to hell in a hand basket at warp speed, and all within a few weeks!
I am getting a left side inguinal hernia repaired in a couple of weeks, but after reading the postings, I think things wont get all that much better...
"What a drag it is getting old"...
(Amen)
|

replied October 13th, 2009
hernia post op
i had a hernia op 3 weeks ago on my left side and this site has put my mind at ease. I have same pain described as most above, feels like something stretchin at the base of the penis and makes sex quite uncomfortable. Mine also happened in the second week post op. Jeans can really irritate it aswel, and when you go to itch the site then the pain also occurs.
Has anyone had the pain here where the pain has stopped. some people saying should stop after so long but anyone here know for sure from their personal experiences.
Also arent clots dangerous?
|

replied November 26th, 2009
Wow! These symtoms described here are exactly what I have too. I have just had a re-repair of the Shouldice Method (no mesh used) and the 1st time it was OK with very little pain (apart from having to have it re-done 5 months later) but this time I have this "cord" tightened the the shaft of the penis and the pain is traced to the base where I guess the muscle has been sown up. I do hope this goes soon.

Robert, I can symapthise with you but I have had the opposite, since my first op, I am suufering from premature ejactulation and it's really getting me down. Just hope this get back to normal soon. What a drag!
Thanks for all the posts. Really useful
Dave
|

replied December 27th, 2009
Hiya,

I also had some similar pain when I first had my hernia done (right side), hurting in both my right testicle and at the base of my penis.

At my 6-week checkup, I was told this was just a bit of nerve damage and would subside. I'm pleased to report that this did settle after 3-6 months, with only occasional twinges.

However now, 18 months later, there is a regular pain again, more directly around the scar itself although affecting the base of my penis during erections. So I'd better go back to the doc and check what's going on. Only tip I can mention so far is that it seems to come on more with a full stomach, so perhaps eating smaller meals might help some of you.

Ben
|

replied February 6th, 2010
Hernia pain on the base of the penis
I had a hernia operation on my left side when I was 8. Now I am 19 and I still have this problem. It only hurts on the right side of the base of my penis right after ejaculation. I wonder if this pain is a serious matter because it has been there for couple or years.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I would mention it to your doctor the next time that you see him...It's better to be on the safe side....Take care...

Caroline
|

What type of doctor should I consult? I haven't gotten check for a while already
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I would think your primary doctor if you have one...or else Internal Medicine...They should be able to give you an idea of there is a problem...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied February 8th, 2010
More penis pain
I think suffering from the same predicament. I don't know if this describes the look of your problem, but when I get an erection it feels like I have a metal syringe just underneath the skin that suddenly is pressed tightly against my skin near the base of my penis. Orgasming and sex is still possible, but if I press down on the tip of my penis while it's erect it hurts like all hell. Basically I have to just be very careful and move very slowly when I have sex.

I had my surgery about two weeks ago and, based upon the posts here, it sounds like this is pretty much the normal time frame for this issue to arise. I don't know if any of the earlier posters would ever see this message, but if so, do you think you guys could post with an update?
|

replied March 31st, 2010
Anybody else?
I had a hernia repair on my left side 8 days ago. The operated area is still quite swollen and it hurts to ejaculate during sex. Is this normal? Please reply.
|

replied March 31st, 2010
does anybody else feel the same?
I had a hernia repair on my left side 8 days ago. The operated area is still quite swollen and it hurts to ejaculate during sex. Is this normal? Please reply.
|

replied May 27th, 2010
pain into penis from hernia surgery
ive had tha pain now for over 10 years,on the right side you can trace a cord that goes into my penis which is hard and when i get a erection feels uncomfortable, ive tried all kinds of medications and that didnt work,also had a few nerve blocks and didnt work = what do you recommend
|
12 >>