Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Epilim as a treatment for Bipolar? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum and as part of that I wanted to say a big thankyou to the many people who are generous enough to post a reply on this forum. It was part of the reason I received my recent diagnosis.

So I've been told I have Bipolar Disorder. Deep down, I probably realise how true that is even if I still don't want to accept it. I guess I don't like the idea that i'm broken in some way Sad

I'm 24 and a teacher and it has been MIGHTY difficult to try and control my moods while teaching. Some days its impossible and I just have to take a sick day. The doctor tells me that I cycle very quickly (within days) and he's not quite sure how to treat it. So he has put me on Epilim, 400mg a day (I think its depatoke, sodium valporate or something like that in other countries). I'm also on Clonazapam, 50mg at night to help me sleep (because I also get night terrors that can result in me lashing out at things).

I started taking these about 5 days ago and have been completely depressed, and exhausted. I'm sleeping about 10 hours plus per day including random naps. Had some strange headaches. I've read that alot of people get increased appetite- well I've got none. Not that I'm nauseous or anything, I just don't feel any hunger anymore. I'm sure that I could go the whole day without eating.

As for my moods. They're so crazy. Compared to Clonazapam which makes me nice and calm, I'm feeling really depressed on Epilim. I'm also easily irritated. Its like im in a depressed cycle that I can't get out of.

So have I got anything to look forward to? Is there a bright side to what seems such a dark and gloomy thing at the moment? I don't feel any different on Epilim unlike what I do on the Clonazapam, but that wears off. I blathering, but I hope someone out their can make sense of what I'm feeling. Anyone in the same boat?

Also is their anything else that I need to look out for. I'm off for a bloodtest on Wednesday, then back to my psyche, so before I tell him that I hate it, I hate it, get me off it!- I thought I'd ask for some advice.

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ZAJaneDoe
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
There may be increased drowsiness and sedation, if Epilim is taken with benzodiazepines, such as Clonazepam.
Less common side effect of clonazepam is a mental depression.

Do you feel drowsy, having a headache, being sluggish, and being irritable after waking up these last 5 days?
|

replied October 6th, 2008
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Headaches were common before so I can't really tell whether they're related. They still feel the same.

As for drowsy and sluggish. Definitely! I can't get my mind to want to do things. Yet I don't want to sleep. My sleep patterns are all over the place. I'm sleeping at 8am in the morning. Then only for 4-5 hours. And defintely moody which is strange, cause I thought this was meant to sort out moods.

No hyperness though.

And I'm still not eating. I just don't want to. Its like there is no hunger in me at all.

I'm hanging out for blood test so I can get back to the pysche and tell him. I guess I'm looking for reassurance until this time. And I'm not sure that the pysche knows everything. A bit of self knowledge drawn from other people's experiences helps.

So thanks again. Smile
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!

Having hangover-like symptoms of being drowsy, having a headache, being sluggish, and being irritable after waking up when Clonazepam is taken before sleep, is commmon side effect of this medicine.
This is likely the result of the medication's long half-life (being in the body, before metabolized and eliminated), which continues to affect the user after waking up, as well as its disruption of the REM cycle.

I have a suggestion for you to ask your doctor for thyroid gland hormones test.
It is a simple blood test, and it can be helpful.

Sleeping difficulties and appetite problems are characteristic for bipolar disorder, but, can be, also, due to problems with thyroid gland.
There is a connection between bipolar disorder and thyroid hormone status.
Sometimes, threating thyroid gland disorders can lead to resolving bipolar symptoms.
You said that you are cycling very quickly, and that you feel depressed and at the same time irritated, which can mean that you are experiencing mixed episode of bipolar disorder (having symptoms of depression and mania-irritated at the same time, and this pattern of bipolar symptoms is more usual for your age)
So, I'll share with you a clinical fact that thyroid problems are more common in the complex forms of bipolar disorder (mixed states and rapid cycling) than in classic bipolar manic patient.

Waiting for your post!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied October 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds like you experience rapid cycling. Keep a mood chart. Just do a search for "mood chart" and you will find many types of mood charts. Find one that works for you and you can fill out daily (daily while you are trying to find the correct medications). This will help you keep your symptoms straight, help you see your progress and will offer your doctor a better picture of your symptoms and response to treatment. Has your doctor discussed an atypical antipsychotic with you? They can offer some stablity with rapid cycling that epilim may not offer. Often these medications are used in conjunction with each other. My son with bipolar disorder suffers with night terrors. Risperdal has really helped to get the night terrors under control for him. Perhaps your doctor will discuss some other medication options with you. Fish oil is very beneficial for mood disorders. It can be used with medications safely. That may be something to speak to your doctor about using with medications.
|

replied October 9th, 2008
Hey there, thanks for replying again.

The Clonazepam seems to be working well. It has completely stopped all night terrors, which is great. The trade off is I seem to go to be around 10 at night and wake up at three. When I do wake up, I don't sleep again for- well ages sometimes. I'm stockpiling books and films so I have something to do when it happens now. Its just not worth it to lie there and get all frustrated- then I'm never going to get to sleep.

Well to update my situation. I just had a blood test and got back the results. I'm pretty sure that he tested my thyroid- I remember him saying he was going to do that. He said that everything was within nomral ranges. He also upped my dose of Epilim, from 400mg a day to 700mg. I think it was registering at about 239 something or others, when he wanted 350 minimum.

I seem to have settled down a fair bit. I haven't ended in tears like I did in those first few days. I'm doing some strange stuff though. Drawing and writing poems. Haha. While I am an English teacher even this is wierd for me. Still, I felt like drawing and writing so I went for a drive and did it.

Being on Epilim is a little bit wierd, it feels like everyting is well... numbed down a little. Well the hyper side is. The depression side is new to me.

I kept a journal the other week antigone- it wasn't good. About four mood changes over as many days. And I wrote in their all the wierd stuff I was doing. Doesn't anyone else find it embarassing to have to go to your pysche and explain this stuff? I can hardly look him in the eyes sometimes cause I feel like such a freak!
|

replied August 26th, 2012
Reality is youll need 1000mg Epelim nightly
10mg ssri to controll anxiety and an antipsyotic depot monthly

With this youll find you can function normally

Im on this , after years of only taking Epelim 1000mg and now i own 3 business, have staff and am self supporting

Good luck,
|

replied December 28th, 2009
Epilim for Depression
Hi
Has anyone found they cant sleep while on epilim??
I take epilim ec200 and nothing else and sometimes have no trouble staying awake for 24hrs and not feeling tired or needing sleep.
Thanks
|

replied March 14th, 2010
taking clonazepam and epilim didn't my life any better
Hi,
I have been taking epilim and clonazepam for 5 months because I was complaining of heart palpitations,my hand were shaking,short of breath and sometimes my head was itchy as if something is crawling inside it...The doc couldn't find anything wrong with me so he refered me to psych who told me I have bypolar disorder and gave me Epilim and clonazepam..but it didn't helpcause I still get the attacks that could last for hours and I am always tired...My work is affected so I stopped taking clonazepam but couldnt sleep for 3 staight nights and I was very alert so I had to take it again to get some sleep...
Plse advice,thank you
|

replied March 14th, 2010
taking clonazepam and epilim didn't my life any better
Hi,
I have been taking epilim and clonazepam for 5 months because I was complaining of heart palpitations,my hand were shaking,short of breath and sometimes my head was itchy as if something is crawling inside it...The doc couldn't find anything wrong with me so he refered me to psych who told me I have bypolar disorder and gave me Epilim and clonazepam..but it didn't helpcause I still get the attacks that could last for hours and I am always tired...My work is affected so I stopped taking clonazepam but couldnt sleep for 3 staight nights and I was very alert so I had to take it again to get some sleep...
Plse advice,thank you
|

replied March 25th, 2010
epilum for bipolar
I was diagnosed with bipolar in 1988 was put on all sorts of things Lithium I felt like a zombie all of the time. eventually I was put on epilum around 1998 and have never looked back. It was a slow recovery at first . One cannot expect epilum to be a miracle worker over night. I can say I have been normal for years now and can recomend it to anybody.
|

replied May 24th, 2011
I WAS DIAGONISED WITH BPD IN 1987 WAS PUT ON EVERY MEDICATION YOU COULD THINK OFF HAD MORE MANIC EPOSIDES THAN LOWS WAS ADDMITED TOO PSHYICATRIC UNITS ON MANY OCCASIONS AS WELL OVER THE LAST 23 YEARS BUT AS OBIA2000 WAS SAYING OUT OF EVERY DRUG THAT HAS EVER BEEN PUT IN MY SYSTEM EPILIUM WITH OUT DOUBT WINS HANDS DOWN FOR ME I HAVE BEEN ON THE STRAIGHT AND NARROW NOW FOR AT LEAST TEN YEARS THANKS TOO EPILIUM TRY IT IT MAY WORK FOR YOU
|

replied April 6th, 2010
Epilim, BiPolar disorder
hey OBAIA2000
what dosage are you taking and how long did it take to become effective cos I have been on it for 6 weeks and it is causing me more problems especially during Depression cycle, I sleep more than 10 hours and I cant do anything else cos I feel a lot worse than before - Dr put me on 800mg per day (400 am and 400pm)
Thanks
M
|

replied April 9th, 2010
I was diagnosed with bipolar about 8 weeks ago. My doctor put me on Epilim 200mgs one tablet at night and one in the morning... im not having the tear up moments as often at least I can make it through an average day with out breading down....I was my family would take the same pills... when i have my upset moments or I just don''t want to talk or do something I get told its my fault I''m in a foul mood and that is obvious I need more pills ... this gets me upset and its back to step one... IM OVER IT .... ITS A ROUND ABOUT..AND I WANT OFF..
|

replied August 21st, 2010
wow i dont think you all realise how much u all jus helped me... im a 20 year old girl who has been put on epilum, antidepressants and a whole bunch of other things. I still hav not come to terms with thinking there is much wrong with me and that maybe im jus a normal hormonal girl. In fact, i got so fed up of takin all these tablets that iv been off them cold turkey... to scared to speak to the doc about it... but the thing is i jus always am either exhausted or so awake that i cant sleep at all... and getting memory loss! dont really know what to do anymore??? HELP!
|

replied August 24th, 2010
rapid cycling bipolar
i got diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar last week and am devastated, i have been treated for depression for the last 11 yrs and nothing worked, i have now been put on epilim today starting tonight on a low dose then the dosages increase over the next 6 weeks, im also epileptic and was on epilim years ago but came off it becuase of the constant tiredeness and my 2 children were born with problems thought to be caused through epilim (speak to docs immediately before having children on epilim) i am also on a anti depressant moclobomide but have read on net that these are not wise with rapid cycling so am not taking them as of today, does anyone know roughly how long the epilim will take to start to work as my poor children are now with my mum until i get over this very down period od constantly crying and feeling guilty, im at my wits end and really need some advice
|

replied September 5th, 2010
Hi All

I have bi polar and am on 600mg am and pm as well as clonazapam. I feel tired and more depressed. I have only been out of hospital since Thursday and feel like I have gone down hill fast. I am meant to go to college on Tuesday but cant see that happening. I am 48 and find the mood changes hard to cope with.
|

replied September 15th, 2010
New user of epilim
I was diagnosed 14 years ago as a manic-depressive-as BPD was called then.This was brought on by taking Prozacto help with depression caused by suffering from CFS.Since Dec 1995 I have been a rapid cycler,with no sign of relief for the deep depressions I suffer-these can last from three to ten weeks.After trying Mirtazapine with a little success -only three weeks out of it and six desperately trying to lead a normal life ,my GP decided to prescribe Epilim.I was treated with lithium,but this only tampered down my manic periods-and after five years I came off it,as I felt zombie-like.Epilim is helping with my sleep patterns,which have been haywire for about 16 years.I take 200mg Epilim and 20mg amitriptyline to help with the pain I suffer from Fibromyalgia ,and after only nearly three weeks I am feeling a lot more optimistic than I have felt for years.In two weeks time I visit my GP for an assessment,and am hoping I can now start to live a normal life for someone with my health problems.In 1997 I heard a lecture by a leading psychiatrist who even then was advocating sodium valproate as a treatment of choice for MD,or BPD,but did not dare to ask to be treated with it.If my trial is successful I will look forward,and try to forget the last 15 wasted years,when I have not functioned to the best of my abilities.AT
|

replied October 27th, 2010
Im 26 from the ages of 16-24 i was a bit out of control wasnt really sure wat was wrong with me then i went to see some one about it the symptons i had all lead to bi polar disorder i started taken eplim at 24 i was taking 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night i was feeling so much better everything starting working out for me never doing random stuff wat i used to do it change my whole life around, i started getting a few head aches about a year down the track so i droped the dose down to 700mg aday in stead of 1000mg a day now evrything is sweet would never get off them again...
|

replied May 21st, 2011
Hi my son is 16 and is now on Epilum he is on 500mg in the morning and 2 x 500mg at night, he is 6.4ft body mass is bigger. I cannont believe the difference in him, just one tablet changed our life! nearly back to normal with his eating and sleeping and can function. At first he had side effects, vomit and a little drowsy but after 2 weeks all gone!!! Before epilum he was aggressive,rude, sleeping all day, breakfast, lunch and dinner meant nothing he would eat a 2am. He diddnt care who he spoke to rudely, grandparents, teachers, people in the street also he would wonder off and not return home, all gone and he is like a breath of fresh air still a long way to go but definately the medication has been a miracle! not only do I see other people do and he is much happier x
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Hi, I am so happy to hear a positive outcome from a parent of a teenager.
My son has just started on Epilum, today is the first day, so no change as yet, but I remain hopeful. How is your son now. Do you have any suggestions?
|

replied November 15th, 2010
Hi
my daughter has Bipolar II disorder and taking Epilem, Lorien tablets. Adco Alzam as well as something (not sure of exact name, starts with C).
She seems to be getting worse, her cycles are rapid and this morning I thought she had overdosed because she seemed drunk, falling around, funny slurry speech and stumbling. She fell as well.
I was angry and my firts thought was that she had been abusing her tablets, because she had done this before when extremely depressed, but she is adament she has not, so I would like to know if Epilem can cause this? She has not been on it for long but started with seizure some months ago (about 4) and though the seizures seem to be have stopped, her behavior has changed.... this morning I really got upset and need to know if the slurring speech and stumbling, (off-balance) could be a cause of the Epilem. She is 40, living in a cottage with us and I am terrified I do not recognise when she needs more professional help since she tried to commit suicide once.
Thanks
Millicent
|

replied November 15th, 2010
Well on Eplim ive had no problem like that ever while taking it , i now a few people that take eplim they seem to have no problem either, it just calms me right down..The only thing i could think of is maybe she hasnt been giving the right dosage of Eplim to take or she should try something different there are many different medications you can take.I have a mate that takes lithum that works for him he has also tryed eplim but he thinks the lithum is better for him..Every one is different but maybe she is either missing her dosage or not giving the right amount..The only thing i have noticed with this is memory loss u seem to foget things not like its all the time its just every now and then its hard to explain..good luck with it all
|

replied November 16th, 2010
I ♥ lamictal. Don't know anything about the others two but I have not experienced any of the crap that others seem to be dealing with because of drugs. so I thought it might be worth mentioning
|
12 >>