Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Epilepsy and the H1N1 vaccine (Page 1)

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
I have just started to hear that there is some problem with neurological disorders and the H1N1 vaccine. Has anyone heard or does anyone know anything about this? It is it the vaccine or flu itself? I have a weakness for lung problems and Epilepsy, so I am really, really trying to avoid this flu. help Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 6th, 2009
I believe it is with the virus not the vaccine. Although there is always a risk with vaccines.

"The Center for Disease Control in Atlanta announced that, as of 8/8/09, 477 people in the US died from H1N1 influenza (flu), including 36 children. Nearly 70% of these children had chronic high-risk medical conditions such as epilepsy, cerebral palsy or developmental delay."
|

replied September 15th, 2009
Epilespy and H1N1
I am a 48 year old woman who has not had a seizure in over 35 years. Recently, I contacted a virus that appeared to be some type of flu. I just treated it with standard over the counter medications. About, five days into the virus I had a seizure, my husband and kids called the paramedics, they were frighten never saw me have one before. When the paramedic checked my temperature it was 102.7. The emergency room doctor simply did a CAT scan, blood work etc. and seemed uninterested in the virus. I had been traveling to NYC for work. I am now convinced that the seizure was caused by H1N1. I can not prove this and will now loose my driver license, even though my seizures are nocturnal. Protect yourself, get the vaccination.
|

replied October 16th, 2009
My daughter has epilepsy and I found out from the state health department that anyone with neurological disorders should NOT get the live virus vaccine (the spray) but instead get the shot vaccine. The live nasal spray vaccine can trigger seizures. Children especially with neuro disorders should get the vaccine shot.
|

replied October 24th, 2009
Talked to my neuro about it yesterday, he said there is a chance the vaccine could trigger a seizure or 2, but the disease also could and oh yea the disease could also kill me. So now I don't know what to do. Doesn't really matter though I can't get the vaccine around here for a while.
|

replied November 5th, 2009
My son is 10 years old. He's never had a seizure in his life. He had the H1N1 Shot last Thursday evening and a seizure at 3:00 am Saturday morning. He stopped breathing and had to be rushed to ER. We don't know if it is related to the shot or something else.. We see a pediatric neurologist in 3 days to learn more.
|

replied November 5th, 2009
My 18 year old daughter had the H1N1 vaccine today and had the worst generalized seizure she has ever had approx 1 hour later. Too much of a coincidence for me. She does have a history of petit mal seizures but not generalized. It was so scary.
|

replied November 7th, 2009
I have a 6 year old daughter who has Rett Syndrome and Epilepsy. Her seizures are semi-controled with medications. She got the H1N1 vacinne and seasonal flu vaccine on Thursday night around 8 pm and started with horrible seizures Friday evening around 10 pm. They continued through the night and started again tonight. She goes to the doctor tomorrow. It is just too coincidental to me that after receiving these two vaccinations she started with these horrible seizures.
|

replied November 7th, 2009
H1N1 vaccine and seizures
i am a 58 yr old nurse, on lamictal and seizure free for over 12 years. On friday i received the HINI vaccine at work. Approximately 6 hours later, i had a partial-complex seizure which fortunately did not progress in a grandmal seizure. I do think the vaccine was the precipitating agent in my situation. I'll be calling my neurologist monday and will keep all posted. In the meantime, i hope thee will not be any further seizures.
|

replied November 8th, 2009
31 year old relatively healthy male.
Was diagnosed with epilepsy in the late 80s, (grand mal seizures), my last seizure was in 1995. THis past wednesday I had the h1n1 shot at 6pm, at 9pm I was driving and I had a seizure. I dislocated my shoulder, and caused some ligament damage in the other shoulder, my vechicle is a write off, and my license has been suspended for 3mths for medical reasons. This flu shot should come with a warning for those that have experienced past neurological issues. I regret ever taking this piece of crap flu shot!.
|

replied November 9th, 2009
To those who have experienced seizures after h1n1 vaccination. Could you please tell us whether more seizures have occurred since you posted?
|

No further seizures

Rec. vaccine 1pm on 11/6/09
seizure 6pm on 11/06/09
no further episodes
|

Our 3-year-old son has hydrocephalus and cerebral palsy. He received the H1N1 shot on the morning of Monday 11/2 and on Thursday 11/5 at 4am had a tonic clonic seizure (grand mal) that lasted for 15 minutes. He had never had a seizure prior to this time and luckily has not had any since. Although his neurological conditions make seizures a possibility, we are finding it to be a terrible coincidence that it happened when it did.
|

H1N1
My daughter is six years old and never had a seizure in her life. She received the H1n
1 Vaccine (inhalation) 12 hrs later she had a seizure, and stopped breathing. I had to resuscitate her (am an EMT). Doctors all stated that they weren't aware of that being a side affect of the H1N1. I come to this site and realize it may be more than a coincidence.
|

replied November 10th, 2009
spoke with my neurologist...although he had not any specific reports of seizures with the H1N1 vaccine, he did say theoretically, it made sense. The vaccine could cause an inflammatory process which could in turn lower the seizure threshold.
|

replied November 11th, 2009
Laurajackie, did he say it would make sense in the case of one or two additional (unexpected) seizures? Nothing about worsening the epileptic condition for a longer time?

I am asking as my 3yo severily handicapped son is epileptic and doctors say anything from "I would not allow him to get the vaccine" to "He should get the vaccine". I am lost.
|

replied November 11th, 2009
more of a short term reaction if indeed it (seizure) was a result of the H1N1 vaccine. (which i feel it was)
it's a tough call for you and i do not envy your position. it sounds like your son has multiple medical issues, so you'd really have to weigh the risk/ benefit ratio. I opted to get it as i work in a hospital and am exposed esp. in the er and didn't want to pass it to patients.
I know what you mean...one MD says don't get it (vaccine) and another says get it...
also, in this blog..
dorabarney3 (oct16) indicated the nasal spray is not indicated for people with epilepsy -- and should get the vaccine instead. let us know what you decide.
|

replied November 12th, 2009
Thank you so much.

So. Yesterday evening my husband came back home from work saying that he was probably getting sick and I had before hardly seen him as tired as yesterday. I panicked (until then I had thought that perhaps by keeping our son away from kindergardens we make him somehow safer) and took the boy for a shot. So far he is doing OK, cried at night as had some gas in the stomach and got some Panadol, and his seizures are not much bigger than before. We'll see how he will be doing in a couple of days. Oh, and my hisbad is already feeling well today Smile Perhaps it was God's will to vaccinate our son?
|

replied November 12th, 2009
Quite a few stories here of parents reporting seizures in their children post-H1N1 vaccination. A fire fighter friend (1st responder) says that the number of calls from parents whose children are having seizures post-vaccine is up quite a bit.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
WHat to do... what to do?
My 23 year old daughter is just 10 1/2 months seizure free. (our prayer for everyone) Christmas Day, God willing, will be 1 year seizure free for her. Everyone here knows the accomplishment this is. Now this vaccine dilemma. We had decided against it, then after the reports of how the virus is spreading we started second guessing. Oh! and our neurologist? (who, we love) said the consenses at the epilepsy center is to check with your primary dr! How's THAT for passing the buck? Unbelievable. Good luck and God Bless to everyone out there struggling with this and other health issues. My daughter doesn't trust the vaccine so, unless something changes to make her feel more comfortable about getting it, she won't be getting the vaccine.
|