Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

epilepsy and anger

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
I always thought most of my seizures were at night after a long day, but I have always got irritable almost out of control on rare occasions. I feel it is getting worse. I have come to a conclusion that it is a sign of a seizure or break through starting up. I have complex partial which runs in my family.
I am very functional, but I am scared that might be going and maybe my career could be coming to an end. I am going to see my Doctor, but the earliest is June. Hard to make an appointment. I also travel quite extensively
around the world.

I am taking low doses (Lamictal 100 twice and Depakote 500 twice daily). I was only taking lamictal until a short time ago and started to take Depakote because of this anger raising it's heading showing that I was starting to have a seizure or break through.

Here is my question: Can anger and irritation be a part of my type of epilepsy and how can I get this in control or is there someone that deals with this.

This is pretty much becoming debilitating.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cycleguy
|

replied April 2nd, 2008
anger and night seizures
Well, I think it might. I have seizures at night, and the first time it happened I experienced anger. Although the anger I experienced happened during the seizure and there was no other cause for me to be angry before I seized, so my best guess is that it was triggered by the seizure. Seizures disrupt normal function in your brain... so it can cause emotions to occur. Hope that helps. I would definitely talk to you doctor about it though.
|

replied May 1st, 2008
This seemed to occur with my daughter too. She began having TC seizures at the age of 14 and is now 16. I think perhaps she was somehow aware that something was about to occur, and yet had no control of the direction of her feelings.

We have been doing neurofeedback for 2 months now, and she has had a reduction of seizures from 6 TC/mo to 1 SP/mo. I am going out on a limb to say that this month is going to be seizure free. I just have this intuitive feeling. Her aura / energy / sense of self is so positive these days. She has more command of herself. This began almost immediately with beginning the neurofeedback therapy.

She isn't on any medication at this time.
|

replied December 25th, 2008
anger
i have had seizures most of my life and i am know 38 when i was 25 i realized i was full of anger and everytime i lost my temper i had a grand mal seizure even though i was medicated highly the side effects were making me very sick till i made the connection went off the medication for ten years until 2006 they came back full force with no explanation , i think i am going through menopause but doctors wont listen.
|

replied December 25th, 2008
anger
i have had seizures most of my life and i am know 38 when i was 25 i realized i was full of anger and everytime i lost my temper i had a grand mal seizure even though i was medicated highly the side effects were making me very sick till i made the connection went off the medication for ten years until 2006 they came back full force with no explanation , i think i am going through menopause but doctors wont listen.
|

replied December 29th, 2012
Epilepsy and anger
I believe epilepsy and anger are linked.

In 1989 my anger started. During 1989 there were a number of things happening in my life which I thought were the source of the anger. I was not diagnosed with epilepsy at that time but in hindsight it is obvious that my first seizures occurred in that year.

Prior to 1989 I was calm and contemplative personality, accepting of others and generally very successful in life and work. From 1989 I became angry, and in 2003 was diagnosed. After 2005 when I had a series of seizures which resulted in speech and cognitive impairment (now addressed) the anger has become explosive.

What was the most promising of careers has been fraught with periods of poverty as the growing anger has made me a less than desirable employee.

It is a hard road to managing the anger, but it can be done, get some help along the way.
|