Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Conditions Forum

epididymitis they are referring to it as STD?

Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
I was diagnosed with epididymitis I am reading many articles about this disease and all of the articles are referring to it as STD even though I didn't have sex at all so I am wondering what might be the reason of getting this disease other than sex I used to spit on my pines when masturbating does this cause any issue? currently I am taking antibiotic but want to know also if this might cause any problem in the future when deciding to get married and have a child
I really appreciate your help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Deleted_user
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2011
Experienced User
as you might imagine, for this type of problem it is not possible for me to make an exact diagnosis over the internet because of the inability to do a physical examination. However, I shall try to help you.

During sexual arousal the prostate gland manufactures fluid that accounts for about 2/3 of the volume of ejaculate. The seminal vesicles are paired structures located behind the prostate gland that also manufacture fluid. Sperm from the testicles (which account for only 1-2% of the semen) travel up a series of tubes (epididymis and vas deferens) on each side to join the seminal vesicles forming the paired ejaculatory ducts. These structures empty into the prostatic portion of the urethra. At the time of ejaculation, prostatic fluid is discharged into the urethra (urinary canal) where it mixes with discharge from the ejaculatory ducts forming the semen. The semen volume is in the 2-6 cc range. The epididymis is the tubular structure located behind the testicle that drains sperm from 
the testis to the vas deferens and eventually out the ejaculatory ducts. Inflammation or infection of the prostate gland (prostatitis) often will spread down the vas and into the epididymis causing inflammation in this area (epididymitis). This is the most common cause of epididymitis although it may also occur without prostatitis. Your recent burning with urination suggests you may have prostatitis with epididymal infection secondarily. Prostatitis may also cause some inflammation of the urethra. Typical signs of epididymitis are swelling of the scrotal skin with loss of the normal skin folds (rugae), redness of the skin, enlargement of the epididymis and testicle, and local tenderness and pain that is eased by elevation of the testicle. The discomfort associated with prostatitis can sometimes be referred into the epididymis without actually an inflammation being present in the epididymis. In this case, the epididymis and scrotum are normal although slightly tender.

Too frequent or too infrequent ejaculation, sexual arousal without ejaculation, and withdraw at the time of ejaculation are just
some of the factors that may predispose prostatitis & epididymitis. Epididymitis is treated with antibiotics, warm baths, scrotal supporter and mild pain relievers. Probably the best antibiotics to use are from the fluoroquinolone group, such as Cipro and Levaquin. Usually the pain is gone in a few days but the swelling may persist for several weeks. Treatment should be instituted by a urologist after a proper and prompt evaluation. The urologist should follow the patient until the inflammation has totally resolved and the testicle has returned to normal. The reason for this is that occasionally, a tumor of the testicle may present clinically as epididymitis. In this case, the inflammation and swelling initially obscure the true diagnosis. A lack of response to treatment may be due to bacterial resistant to the antibiotic prescribed or the formation of a testicular abscess (which may be detected on ultrasound). Culture and sensitivity studies of either the prostatic fluid or semen can help in identifying the type of bacteria and finding which antibiotics are most likely to clear the infection. If one has prostatitis, usually a 4 week course of antibiotics is required.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.
Colin2011
|
Did you find this post helpful?