Medical Questions > Mens Health > Testicles Forum

epididymitis pain after vasectomy (Page 1)

Can anyone please help me with this. I am a 46 year old male. My urologist has taken me out of work for two weeks due to post vasectomy pain. I have been diagnosed with epididymitis about seven times in the last six years. Each time I was given antibiotics (cipro) and it cleared up in about a week. The only tests given were a urinalysis and a physical examination of the scrotal area. The last three months I have been low to high grade pain behind the right testicle. This pain always occurs after heavy lifting or intercourse. I am married and monogamous. My urologist says I have congestive epididymitis from a vasectomy eight years ago. He wants to perform an epididyectomy. I have read articles on this procedure and most articles say it is ineffective for pain relief. Currently my urologist has me on sulfamethoxazole for thirty days and methylprednisolene for one week. My question is, if the drugs, rest and ice don’t work what are the most successful options I have to relieve the pain and how do I find a surgeon with a successful record.
Note – I’ve already had a blow-out of the epididymitis area due to pressure build-up on the right side last month.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper 751hdm
|

replied February 16th, 2009
Did one side swell to several times it's size? I had this beginning 5 days post vasectomy. That side calmed down then the other side started. I recognized it and started on antibiotics quickly and anti inflams. the first episode caused a 103 fever as well.
|

replied May 15th, 2009
post vas chronic epididymitis
Im 3 weeks into a bout with post vasectomy chronic epididymitis and it is intense. I am making sure that any males that I run into and talk to, that I mention the risks involved in a vasectomy and that the % is way higher then the docs play it out to be.

I had mine done 3 weeks ago. If I would have done the research I did afterwards I would'nt have done it.
The pain is a 10 and swelling is taking up serious scrotal space. swelling has now turned like hard to the touch. Enduration? and now pain is in lower abdomen.

I emailed a doc in texas abt a reversal to deal with this and I am waiting reply.

Can I have a reversal with this problem.

Good luck to all and let us prey.
|

replied May 31st, 2009
This is frightening. I am a 28 year old male and experiencing the identical problem. I have had 4 bouts with this and the pain is literally flooring. Urologists and Docs play it off as I am just sensitive but the pain is far greater than anything I have ever experienced (compound fractures and broken collar bones). Will subscribe to this thread and hope for updates or others who have had success...
|

replied June 13th, 2009
post vasectomy pain
OMG!! one week post vasectomy, my right side is fine, the left side feels like somebody is pulling my insides with vise grips. I cant sit, have to lean on right side when on the john, the pain is overwhelming. what is it, what do i do?
|

replied July 26th, 2013
Hi there. I'm 5 days post and am having the same issues. Did this ever go away? If so, how long did it take?
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
Guys, sorry to have to tell youthis, but I am a 53 year old male, had vasectomy 15 years ago & have recurring pain as stated above. I have just seen a urologist & he says that it is similar to "lover's balls" & is caused by the Vas being tied off & sperm building up, unable to relase. He says it can only be eradicated by surgery to remove the epididimis. There is some risk however that the nut will be lost as a result of lost blood flow. He says minor risk, I say NO WAY I am taking that chance. I now have to simply put up with the pain. I sympathise with anyone going through severe pain & swelling with this. Mine is mostly not too bad.
I wonder whether the vasectomy could be reversed by untying the know so that sperm can flow free? I didn't ask him that but will when I get a chance.
I do recommend not getting sexually aroused any more than is necessary & taking regular exercise - both help.
|

replied October 23rd, 2012
reversal didnt work
I had the same problem and did a reversal it did not work. it has bee four years post reversal and I am in pain today trying to get an appointment.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
Epididyectomy
After 10 years of PVPS and seeing numerous doctors in Europe and the US, I had a Bi lateral epididyectomy just a month ago.
My main issue with the PVPS pain was the inability to take pain killers due to medication for Fibro-Myalgia.
So the epidiyectomy, at 4 weeks past the proceedure I have one very large odd shaped testicle that I cannot feel any affect only the pressure of squeezing, nothing else and a left one that is normal size, feels pointy and sharp at the top and bottom and hurts like a B*&)h. Still cant walk far, lift, stand sit etc. Pain in the stomach, pain in the upper thigh, pain in the back.
On revisiting the doc he says this is normal and could take 2 months, I'm not sure. The reoccurent swelling, has no pattern, sparoid tesicular bruising makes me think that, something is not right.
This was not explained prior to surgery, nor was the possible complication prior to the vasectomy, shouldnt have expected it.
The prognosis is supposedly normal, but I dont feel like it is.
Would I recommend it or let a surgeon near my nuts again... definatley not! unless there is a definate solution. From my experience which admittedly is subjective, ask loads of questions, feel comfortable that the doc will support your recovery and make sure he/she has done it before and can give testimony if possible.
|

replied January 4th, 2013
epididymitis
My Husband is going through the same thing right now. Have you ever consulted an attorney? That was going to be our next step.
|

replied August 18th, 2009
Hi guys,
I really feel your pain. I was diagnosed with epididymitis 6 years ago and suffered from the inflammations and pain for about 2 and 1/2 years. Several urologists just assumed that I had sexual relationships out of the wedlock (it was not the case!) and prescribed several bouts of antibiotics to no avail... Then, I finally traveled to the hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and they diagnosed an enlarged prostate that was exerting pressure on an internal nerve. A simple course of alpha-blockers (Flomax), for about two months, took care of the problem! The pain and inflammation totally went away...
I was so angry that I had to live with this for almost 3 years given how easy the solution was, just because most doctors are ignorant of the origins of this problem!
Please have your doctors try and prescribe you alpha-blockers: I never have had any problems since then...
I hope this helps: please post back if you tried alpha blockers and they worked: I would like to know if an enlarged prostate (or similar inflammation of internal muscles) is a common cause of epididymitis and be able to help more people...
|
Users who thank alphablock for this post: anwycj1 

replied August 27th, 2009
Thank you, gentleman, for sharing your stories. I had a vasectomy in April of 2008 and now have epididymitis and an enlarged prostate. My urologist also suggested that STD's were the most likely source but I knew that chance was next to nill and subsequent tests ruled that out. Cipro has done nothing after 2 months and I am glad to learn of the success of one of you with Flomax. I'm certainly going to give that a try. I will definitely be back to share the results.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Seek answers.........
Does anyone knowhow to go about convincing a doctor to write a prescription for Flomax? My husband has seen three doctors and two sent him home with tylenol. The third prescribed an antibiotic. I do not want him to continue going through this......
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
I have been dealing with chronic epidyimitis pain off and on for the last 12 years. The frequency of the events keeps getting closer and closer. Neither anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, steroids, sex, no sex... nothing helps for very long once it starts. I am scheduled for a consultation mid-October to have a vasectomy reversal. It is my understanding that an epidyimectomy just creates that same pressure (that is causing the pain) "further up the line". Ideas? Responses?
|

replied November 30th, 2009
Seek answers...

You might want to see a urologist (not a regular doctor) to get that Flomax prescription.
If they won't prescribe it, then find a NEW urologist - I did.

**The epididymis is CONGESTED with sperm that can't reach the prostate to escape out the urethra.**

This is NOT an inflammation that is treatable with anti-inflammatories (like a headache); it is NOT an infection so antibiotics won't work; and steroids don't do the trick either - I've tried.

A reversal will solve this problem by releasing the "back-pressure" (opening up the pathway again).

I wish they had told me of the potential side-effect BEFORE I had it done.
|

It is EXTREMELY frustrating the way these doctors try to "treat" the pain. Tylenol just ain't gonna cut it - I know. It's better to find a urologist that is more sympathetic towards this type of severe, uncomfortable and debilitating pain.

**The epididymis is CONGESTED with sperm that can't reach the prostate to escape out the urethra.**

A reversal should solve this problem by releasing the "back-pressure" (by opening up the pathway again).

This is NOT an inflammation that is treatable with anti-inflammatories (like a headache); it's not an infection, so antibiotics won't work; and steroids don't do the trick either - I've tried.

And from my research, talking to friends & family, this is NOT as RARE as some doctors would make it out to be.

I have had limited success - most doctors addressing the symptoms and NOT the cause. Some of the previous ones I have seen have even been "borderline callous". This HURTS bad!
|

So... now that I have made 3 posts in a row to voice my frustration, I thought that I would let you know that I am FINALLY SCHEDULED FOR A REVERSAL!

My earliest post was above (on 10/2/2009).
After much consideration and suffering - (2&1/2 MONTHS!!!)I am scheduled for a vasectomy reversal on December 11th (12 years after it was initially performed).
I have done a lot of research, spoken to doctors and the surgeon about the relief of the excruciating chronic pain. This will allegedly eliminate the pain once and for all.

This is my logic and the order of my choices to address the pain:

1.) A reversal - because if you get an epididymectomy to try and alleviate the pain and it doesn't work, then it's too late to try a reversal.
2.) If the reversal doesn't work, then an epididymectomy is the next choice, but it is most likely that the "back-pressure" will just end up being closer to the testicle, essentially not solving the problem at all.
3.) Removal of the testicle, and a prosthetic put in it's place. Most guys would prefer to keep the two that God gave them. So this is a last resort if nothing else works and the pain is intense enough to warrant a removal of part of your body.

I will post after the 12/11/2009 surgery to advise the other sufferers in this forum as to my success or lack thereof.
Wish me luck.
|
Users who thank soretesties for this post: Parbuster 

replied July 27th, 2012
vasectomy 32 years ago and one epididymectomy down the line
Hi my husband had a his vasectomy 32 years ago, it was fine for about 10 years then the pain started, he was not informed about this type of pain when he had it done and we didn't have the internet then so didn't relise a reversal would have solved it, the doctors didn' even want to do a epididymectomy then because they didn't know if it would work. he has had the epididymectomy now for about 8 years ago, and it worked for a few years, great no pain, but it has flared up again to the back of the testicle this time he is considering having the testicle removed do you know if anyone has had the testicle removed and has it been a success?
|

replied December 1st, 2009
I had mine done in June of 08 at age 38 . The first thing I noticed was that I had lost almost all ejaculatory sensation and feelings associated with it. Three months later I began developing pain. Mostly minor but often disabling. I had surgery on 02/13 in an unsuccessful attempt to stop it and am now recovering from a vasectomy reversal I had done last week. At my pre vas consultation I was told that chronic pain "never really happens" only later realizing that multiple studies put it at about 15% with one indicating a 33% chronic pain rate 4 years after the procedure. Only after becoming sick of lying as to why I was missing so much work and taking prescription pain killers (genital pain is kind of personal) I revealed my secret and was both relieved and alarmed that I know four other guys in the same boat (one for over 10 years). All of us were misled about the incidence of chronic pain. There is a support group run by a Doctor who himself suffered through this. You may want to check it out if only to know you are not alone
painaftervasectomy.org
|

replied December 28th, 2011
I am considering a reversal, but am concerned about the long-term success. Can you please tell me how you are doing now that it's been a couple of years. Did the pain go away? Do you recommend I "risk" the reversal?
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
How painful is the recovery from the surgery?
Any reduction in the chronic epididymis pain or is it too early to tell?
Anything I should be aware of before I undergo this surgery?
Mine is scheduled for 12/11.
I, too, was NOT advised about the potential side effects. PLUS, I recently spoke to a business associate, and he just had his done. Everything is fresh in his mind. He told me that the doctor said NOTHING about possible side-effects.
When will these doctors start informing their patients of the reality of having this procedure done?! Very, VERY frustrating and painful. Don't they have a responsibility to uphold? Should they be held accountable and liable?
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
The uncomfortable feeling like my epididymis was going to burst dissappeared immediately however I was on pain killers at the time. As I am scaling back on pain meds that "pressure" feeling is still gone. Most of the pain/discomfort is similar to what I felt after my last surgery and I am hoping will subside with time. You should check out that site and sign up for the group. The people there have been very supportive and helpful (more so than some of the Urologists I have seen) and some of them have undergone the reversal as well. Maybe if we get enough guys complaining they will have to start being honest about the procedure. Pain aside if I had been told everything about the procedure and its after affects I know now I would never have had it done in the first place. It seems deception is instumental in its acceptance.
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
No problem, glad I could be of assistance. I understand the depression and hoplessness. One of the Uros I saw asked me if sex was really that important to me and advised me to just wait a few years until my testosterone dropped and my wife went into menopause (she's 3Cool because then it would not matter that I lost a lot of feeling as our libidos would drop. This guy did not address the pain issue at all and effectively declared my sex life dead.
|

replied December 4th, 2009
I just recently started to have pain and discomfort from my vasectomy which I got 2 years ago. It felt like I was kicked in the package and it hurt all the way into my stomach. The first urologist I went to was the same doc that did my surgery. He said don't worry just take some ibuprophen. What a crock!! So I went to another doc and he told me what was going on with the epididymis. It angers me that these docs don't tell you anything about negative side affects even though I asked. There are millions of us who suffer needlessly because they were not honest from the beginning. Can they be held liable for not telling us about all the potential risks? If I had known I could potentially suffer like this in just 2 years I would have never gotten the vasectomy.
|

replied December 9th, 2009
Thank you everyone for their excellent contributions.

I am currently recovering from semi-Castration.
I lost my left testicle.

I had Vasectomy in Europe in 2007 and ended up with an abscess forming in the scrotum. I was in pain during the Operation and within 24 hours my stitches had been infected with pus.
That was just the start of 2 years of total HELL.

It's a very very long story which I will try and write one day.

I would NOW encourage any Man to think carefully about having a Vasectomy.
|