Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

enlarged thyroid gland (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn what the thyroid does, and the characteristics of thyroid disease here. In this intro section, we'll also review types of thyroid disorders MDs diagnose....
Specific medical conditions can trigger thyroid disease. Learn the basics about causes and risk factors for thyroid problems here....
Learn the symptoms for various thyroid problems...plus know when to seek medical help! A complete list of thyroid symptoms here....
I visited my endo today and she said I have an elarged thyroid gland on my right side. She has scheduled me for an ultasound. Has anyone had an enlarged thyroid gland, and how did it turn out?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper eeyore46
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Having enlarged thyroid gland with only one side enlarged enough to be felt, can be a sign of thyroiditis, inflammation of thyroid gland. One of the most common thyroiditis is Hashimoto's thyroiditis that leads to state of hypothyroidism.
Diffusely enlarged thyroid, can be due to other condition (Graves' disease), when, the thyroid is stimulated to produce and secrete excess thyroid hormones into the blood (hyperthyroidism)
Also, several types of nodules can develop in the thyroid gland.

What kind of symptoms you have?
Have you been examined with ultrasound?
|

replied June 2nd, 2008
Experienced User
I am scheduled to have an ultrasound. My thyroid levels always come back okay. I have every symptom of hypothyroidism, but the tests are always normal.
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
When a diagnosis of hypothyroidism is made, most of the doctors relay on blood hormone levels.
Although your blood hormone levels have "normal" ranges, other factors need to be taken into account as well, such as the presence or absence of symptoms.
Many patient will have this disease in mild to moderate forms which are more difficult to diagnose. Different people will feel different with the same thyroid hormone level.
It is not necessarily to make the lab tests go into the normal range, but to make you feel better as well!
So, even if a patient is in the "normal" range, it may not be the normal level for them.

In early hypothyroidism, the level of thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) may be normal.
That's why the main tool for the detection of hypothyroidism is the measurement of the TSH, the thyroid stimulating hormone. The increase in TSH can actually precede the fall in thyroid hormones by months or years.

Have you been tested for specific thyroid antibodies (anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies)?

Waiting for your post!
Marija
|

replied June 5th, 2008
Experienced User
My TSH levels are always within normal limits. My endo did do blood work, and now I am scheduled for the ultrasound on the 24th. Also, the right side of my neck is slightly swollen as well as the enlarged thyroid gland on my right side. It seems I have every sign of hypothyroidism, but again, the TSH levels are with normal range. Thanks for your reply.
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Were your TSH levels in the upper half of the TSH test's normal range?
Have you experienced fluctuating results for the TSH level in the past?
|

replied June 17th, 2008
Experienced User
I do not know about the upper or lower level - I just know they always tell me the TSH is within normal range. The endo took blood work the day she found the enlarged thryoid, but I will not know the results until the 24th.
|

replied June 26th, 2008
Experienced User
Well, I had my ultrasound for the enlarged thyroid. It showed I had a small nodule 4 mm. The doctor said that was too small to do a needle biopsy on so we will wait 6 months and do another ultrasound. My TSH level was within normal range. Really no explantion for the enlarged thyroid gland. She indicated some people just have a larger thyroid than others. Even though I have most of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, she said that my level was normal so that no, I did not have hypothyroidism. Now I guess I just wait and see what happens in the next 6 months.
|

replied July 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
Hypothryroidism
Still worrying as to why I have an enlarged thyroid gland. I have read many articles and I have all of the symptoms of Hashimoto's Disease, but since the TSH level is normal, the doctor continues to say no. However, she has no reason for the enlargement. The nodule is very small that the ultrasound detected, and she does not think that is why my thryroid gland is enlarged. Has anyone else experienced this before?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you been tested for specific thyroid antibodies, characteristic for Hashimoto's? (anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies)?
|

replied July 9th, 2008
Experienced User
I do not know. All she told me is that my TSH level is normal and that I had an enlarged thyroid and a small nodule. Are there other tests? I guess because my TSH was normal she did not feel the need to test further.
|

replied July 10th, 2008
Experienced User
MandMs
What are special thyroid antibodies and how do you detect them? (anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies) I am still worried about the slight swelling in my neck. I guess if I had a problem the untrasound and blood work would have detectd it. Thank you for your concern and replies.
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!

Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the most common cause of hypothyroidism state, is an inflammation of the thyroid gland with autoimmune nature (your own immune system detects your thyroid gland as a foreign part and produces antibodies against thyroid gland).
Actually, these antibodies, known as anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies, are directed towards thyroid peroxidase, an enzyme (protein) found within the thyroid gland.
Interaction between enzyme and antibodies leads to inflammation of the gland, eventually, resulting in destroyed gland and lack of thyroid hormones.

Patients with Hashimoto's, usually, experience swelling of the thyroid gland (due to the inflammation), leading to a feeling of tightness or fullness in the throat.
And, also, the enlarged thyroid gland is felt as a lump in the front of the neck, called a goiter.

Have a good, healthy day!
Marija
|

replied July 16th, 2008
Experienced User
Thank you so much for your reply. The swelling is on the right lower side of my neck/throat. Thus far, I do not have a tightness or fullness in my throat. Somethimes, when I swallow, it feels like there is some tightness or narrowing. My swelling is isolated on the right side. Is is likely that in time my thyroid test may show a negative TSH level? This far - it is negative.
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The first sign of Hashimoto's disease may be painless swelling in the lower front of the neck.
Suspicious for this disease is always present when the physician finds an enlarged thyroid gland or abnormal blood tests.

You can have Hashimoto's with a thyroid in the process of autoimmune dysfunction, but, the level of this dysfunction may not be significant enough to register as an out-of-range TSH level, but the presence of antibodies may in fact generate hypothyroid symptoms.

Many doctors will not treat patients who present clinical symptoms of hypothyroidism, test positive for Hashimoto's antibodies, but have a normal TSH level, known as being "euthyroid" -- or, "in the normal range" (their bodies achieved to have enough thyroid hormones).

Some endocrinologist, based on recent studies (when people with autoantibodies, but normal TSH levels, were treated with low dose of thyroid hormone, after a year experienced lowering of the autoantibodies and other signs of inflammation) think that low doses of thyroxine can stop the progression of the disease.
|

replied July 26th, 2008
Experienced User
You sound very knowledgable on this subject. Do you have a problem with your thyroid? On my ultrasound it showed a small nodule - they told me to come back in 6 months. They also told my aunt this same thing. She did this for a year. She went to her gynecologist and on her information sheet she listed a thyroid nodule. Her doctor insisted she have a dye test even though she had two ultrasounds. They found six nodules and 3 were malignant. She went to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Tx for surgery and they were all contained within the thyroid glands. Should I ask for the dye test? Her thyroid gland was not swollen as mine is and she had no symptoms. Thanks for the reply.
|

replied August 15th, 2008
Experienced User
eeyore46
You may be able to shrink your nodule with a change in diet.
Check your food labels first of all, and don't eat anything with soy in it.
Soy is notorious for causing thyroid problems. All bread, many soups and cereals have soy in them. Check EVERYTHING you eat. Avoid soy like the plague. (It IS a plague).
Consult a nutritionist and have your iodine level checked. Call a nutritionist anyway. They will probably know what to do to help you.

Hope this helps.

Honeycomb
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
eeyore46!
You are welcome!
I don't have thyroid gland problem myself.
You can ask for the dye test if you are worrying, too much.

Please, inform me if you have some new informations!
Marija
|

replied March 17th, 2009
enlarged thyroid with nodules and swollen cervical glands
What causes enlarged thyroid with nodules on both sides and swollen cervical glands. My nodules are 2.7cm and 1.7 cm. Every test i have had done has come out normal(TSH by RIA,T3,T4,T4 free TSH 3rd generation, and antibodies test)
|

replied March 31st, 2009
Thyroid levels are all good...but still the swollen gland.
My endo sent me for an ultrasound after he told me I have Hashimoto's and the ultrasound didn't show any definite nodules but she said that there was "stuff" around my thyroid. What's the next step?
|
12 >>