Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Enlarged lymph nodes and nodules in the neck

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
User Profile
I recently found a lump on the upper right side of my neck (feels like it is attached to my throat). I went to my doctor, he told me that it is a swollen lymph node around 1cm in size with no other knots in my neck or swelling in my thyroid. With a family history of cancer (grandfather died of oral cancer at 52), I am truly concerned that the doctor cared more about my smoking (did have to ask him several times to prescribe Chantix) and not about the hard knot in my neck. My question is, what could this really be and what should my next step be? I have experienced hoarseness in the mornings and late at night, constant clogged ears, and my jaw would almost lock on me (no longer a problem after finals).

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2008
Cancers Answer A5203
It is impossible to render a diagnosis over the Internet, of course. Enlarged lymph nodes can arise from infection or inflammation in the body, or from other more serious causes. Most of the time, "reactive" lymph nodes in the neck will occur in conjunction with a sore throat or an upper respiratory infection (or, more rarely, with infection of the gums or tooth sockets), and in these cases, the enlarged lymph nodes are almost always tender to the touch. A form of cancer known as lymphoma can also arise within lymph nodes and, in contrast to reactive lymph nodes, most lymphomas are not particularly tender to the touch. Other causes of nodules in the neck include benign and malignant thyroid nodules, and benign or malignant tumors of the salivary glands

If this enlarged nodule persists, enlarges, or is followed by the development of other nodules in the neck, then a more detailed head and neck evaluation should be conducted by a qualified ENT surgeon.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.