I'm 19 and had been teeter-tottering with the idea of seeing a doctor about a gland in my neck that is rather prominent to me and has been for quite some time now. About a year, maybe over. Well, I finally saw one Monday. The doctor didn't say much, but ordered bloodwork. I waited around until Thursday, when the office called me and said that the doctor was going to set me up with an appointment with either an ENT or a surgeon that day. I saw a surgeon that day and he ordered me a CT scan for the next day (which was yesterday). I went for the CT scan then went to see the surgeon a few hours later.
The surgeon said that since the node has been there for a long time, he wasn't extremely concerned but wanted to take some action. He wanted to get a needle biopsy done. Well, I'm leaving for college (today, actually) and either had to get it done that day or had to wait. He said that I could just wait it out till the next time I came home, but I'm not really sure when that will be, so I told him that I will take care of it through the local university hospital where I go to college.
My CT scan said that I had a 2cm by 1.1cm node that was right-sided level 2. This is the palpable one and the one I originally had concerns with. I have another one similar side contra laterally. I also have one that is 13mm by 11mm that is right next to the contra lateral node. The report also says I have a 2-3mm nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid, but my thyroid is not enlarged, and that I have mild soft tissue prominence of the nasopharynx, which is compatible with the slight prominence of the adenoids.
I really have no idea what all of that means, but I am going to another surgeon to see if they definitely want to perform a biopsy. Is it smart to get a second opinion or should I press for it? And what does the CT scan mean and should I be worried?