Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Enema benefits ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I recently had a colonoscopy. The doctor suggested that along with the normal clean out prep that I also have an enema before the procedure. He indicated that this was an option for me but he was experiencing better results with patients that receive enemas before. He said more doctors are recommending enemas before colonoscopy for better results. I was reluctant but a nurse friend of mine said it was not a bad idea and that an enema is actually not that bad...its just a procedure that gets a bad rap because of the fear around the thought of "getting an enema". She told me that it was likely going to be a "real" enema and not some squeeze bulb thing. Well she was right; it was a "real" enema. To make a long story short this enema was not nearly as bad as I had expected, if fact at one point it was just about relaxing.

Now my friend the nurse (who works in a modern hospital; I sometimes wonder about...but do trust) claims that enemas are starting to make their way back into modern medicine again (evidently common sometime ago). She thinks there is some benefit to an occasional enema for cleansing of the colon, a practice that she says she does. Is there any proof of this and is there any truth in what my friend is claiming?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper embarased
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2010
There is no clinically proven beneficial role for routine enemas in otherwise healthy patients. Various forms of "colon cleansing" have been popular in alternative medicine circles for decades. In my view, this approach is more likely to cause harm rather than any reasonable health benefit.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied June 26th, 2010
I agree with the doctor concerning the use of enemas as a general treatment plan. I also think that all the hype about colon cleanses with expensive salts is just another way of making money.

However, my experience with enemas as part of the prep for a colonoscopy has been nothing but positive. Combining enemas with an osmotic laxative, such as magnesium sulfate for example, works like a charm and eliminates the need to drink all that salt water (which isn't very good for kidney function). If you use enemas they should be taken reasonably close to the procedure (within 2-3 hours) and they need to be of sufficient volume to reach the cecum (end of the large bowel). That means 2 quarts or more. Most doctors won't prescribe them for colonoscopy preps because patients will not take sufficiently large enemas. Taking 2-3 of these will usually give returns that are clear and provide a good prep as long as you are on clear liquid diet and do use an osmotic laxative. You don't want to get dehydrated, so drinking lots of water on prep day is also important.
|

replied October 6th, 2011
I have a friend, in her 50's, with Diabetes. She takes so many Medications, she becomes blocked for days at a time, and it is very painful for her. I told her about the 15 Day Cleanse from Dr Max Powers. I even picked her up a bottle.

She chose to go the enema route, which was extremely painful for her, instead. After one excruciatingly painful episode, she decided to try the Max Powers 15 Day Cleanse, like I had asked. She's been enema-free for over 6 months now.

I have introduced several of my friends to this amazing product. No complaints from any of them. I use it because it keeps my tummy flat!!
|

replied September 1st, 2013
Seeking Alternative Prep For a Colonoscopy.

Can I do colonic to clean out my colon
instead of the traditional liquid laxative
which I think is a bit barbaric if an
alternative like a relaxing colonic giving
by a certified colon hydrotherapist to
completely clean out your colon for the
colonoscopy.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.