Medical Questions > Womens Health > Endometriosis Forum

Endometrosis & Uterine Fibroids?

Must Read
Uterine fibroids are extremely common. But what are uterine fibroids and what types of uterine fibroids do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on fibroids here....
Are you at risk of developing a uterine fibroid? Learn more about what you might do to avoid these growths in this section....
Excessive bleeding between periods, and pain during intercourse can signal a uterine fibroid. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help here....
Hello all! First off its so great to finally know i am not alone with all these symptoms. I am 21 years old and have had Uterine fibroids since the age of 16 and found out about my endo when i was 19 my mom passed away when i was about 15 so i havent had much guidance. Everything i read says treatments for fibroids make the endo worse and treatments for endo makes fibroids worse and so far everything we have tried has proved that to be correct! I am wondering if a hysterectomy is the best treatment option to get my life back its been just in the past 3 years that the pain has gotten unbearable all i can do is go to work then go home and lay with my heating pad i have miss several days and have lost a job over this pain I am unsure where to go from here I am defiantly not the person I use to be and I feel that I am loosing the best years of my life due to these two things. Does anyone have any treatment options that maybe I have not tried. the things I have done so far are; laproscopy, Zoladex injections, Several different types of Birth Control, and Ageston witch is some kind of hormone pills. No one I know understands this pain and I need to get it under control quickly.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Anna Sewall
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile TriciaHealthy
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2011
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

I am really sorry to hear about you.Endometritis along with fibroid is quite painful and both of them keep on recurring.Pills and injections can only keep the symptoms in control but at such a young age Hysterectomy is not a good option as future chances of pregnancy are affected.
Consider visiting another Gynaecologist for opinion as many woman face this but medications help in controlling the symptoms.

Take Care!

|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2012
Experienced User
Vitamin D found to shrink fibroid tumors
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer

NaturalNews) Each year, roughly 200,000 women undergo a surgical procedure that involves the removal of their uteruses due to the growth of non-cancerous tumors known as uterine fibroids, which commonly develop in and around the walls of the uterus. But a new study published online in the journal Biology of Reproduction has found that vitamin D may effectively reduce the size of existing uterine fibroids, and may even help prevent them from forming in the first place.

For their study, Sunil K. Halder, Ph.D., and colleagues tested the effects of vitamin D on a group of rats said to be genetically predisposed to fibroid tumors. Twelve rats were divided into two groups of six, one of which received a continuous dose of vitamin D daily, and the other not receiving any treatment. The vitamin D group of rats received the human equivalent of what would be 1,400 international units (IU) of vitamin D daily.

After the three-week study period was completed, researchers noted that the untreated group of rats experienced significant enlarging of their fibroid tumors, while the vitamin D group experienced a significant shrinking of theirs. Overall, the vitamin D group's tumors were roughly 75 percent smaller than the untreated group's tumors, which demonstrates a clear causal relationship between vitamin D and the shrinking of fibroid tumors.

"The study results provide a promising new lead in the search for a non-surgical treatment for fibroids that doesn't affect fertility," said Louis De Paolo, Ph.D., chief of the Reproductive Sciences Branch of the National Institutes of Health's (NIH) Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.

The findings are great news for women, since vitamin D is safe and side effect-free; inexpensive; and beneficial in a wide range of other therapeutic uses. Rather than have to undergo a highly-invasive surgical procedure, in other words, many women with developing fibroid tumors may potentially benefit from simply exposing themselves more regularly to natural sunlight, or by supplementing with natural vitamin D3 pills.

Since more than half the population is deficient in vitamin D, according to a 2010 study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, most people would benefit from recommendations to add a little extra vitamin D into their health regimen. Whether it is uterine fibroids, heart problems, chronic infections and illnesses, neurological problems, respiratory ailments, or skin diseases, natural vitamin D has been shown to provide therapeutic benefits with no negative side effects.

-----------------------
|

replied June 21st, 2013
hi...this is a very good study i suppose. I am a mother of two in my thirties. I have a uterine fibroid which is growing in size and am advised hysterectomy. I have been using vitamin D3 but my last visit to my gynaec, she has seen the fibroid growing. But I still wanna give it a try and continue with Vitamin D. will get back again....
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2013
Experienced User
You need to supplement with at least 8000IUs of vitamin D3 per day. Also, the baking soda and maple syrup protocol is worth researching. That along with the right supplements and a raw food diet could help you avoid surgery.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Endometriosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.