Medical Questions > Womens Health > Endometriosis Forum

Endometriosis and Gas (Page 1)

Must Read
What is endometriosis and where does it occur on a woman's body? We outline the basics of endometriosis here, a condition that can affect millions of women....
Endometriosis can cause infertility...but what are the reasons that a woman might experience this condition? And what puts you at higher risk for developing it?...
Early symptoms of endometriosis can seem normal. But when should you ask your doctor for help? We outline the problem signs and symptoms here....
I was diagnosed with Endometriosis and it seems every year brings a different set of complications along with my period. Of late, I have been experiencing severe, intense gas pains (at least they feel like gas) the onset of which occur during my period and continue for several days and/or weeks after the bleeding has stopped. I have never experienced such pain before, and my job performance is affected as a result. It even hurts to eat! My Gynecologist prescribed Nexium and Buscopan but they have been ineffectual so far. Has this ever happened to anybody else? Can anybody tell me what's going on?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper menstrosity
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2009
Community Volunteer
OMG!! I was just thinking how gassy I've been lately. I was diagnosed with Endometriosis recently and the doc put me on micronor and I am having the worst period I've had in a looooooong time and I thank God I can shut my office door and fart in peace. lol My poor boyfriend tells me I'm worse than him lately. :S I've just been making sure not to drink or eat anything to cause gas....As I chug down my bottle of Coca Cola...shhhhhhh lol
|

replied April 20th, 2009
Endometriosis/ Gas???
For years now I have severe pain behind my ribs. I am pretty sure it is gas. It always happens a week before I start my period. Sometimes it is so bad that I have to just lie down until it passes. It lasts anywhere from 5 min. to 30 min. And sometimes it happens on and off all day! It even makes me nauseated sometimes. I am pretty sure it is gas. I have told several doctors but none of them can come up with a reason. Could I have Endometriosis? I am 36 years old.
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
Re: Endometriosis/ Gas???
shan5555 wrote:
For years now I have severe pain behind my ribs. I am pretty sure it is gas. It always happens a week before I start my period. Sometimes it is so bad that I have to just lie down until it passes. It lasts anywhere from 5 min. to 30 min. And sometimes it happens on and off all day! It even makes me nauseated sometimes. I am pretty sure it is gas. I have told several doctors but none of them can come up with a reason. Could I have Endometriosis? I am 36 years old.

you would have other symptoms, gas is not a predominant symptom of endometriosis. keep in mind endometriosis most commonly occurs on your uterus and ovaries so is nothing is wrong in your pelvic region then there is no reason why gas and pain in your stomach is linked to endo
|

replied May 26th, 2009
it does happen!!!
hi! i felt a little better after reading your comment. I thought i was the only person going through this horrible symptom. I am suffering from endo for the past few years. I have been in horrible pain for the last two days, first day of period was fine. But that day, i had to eat some heavy foods that were fried, and some bread made with wheat, some nice friends had invited us over. I hated to excuse myself because of having my period. I also didn't want my husband end up not going because of me.So i went. That day middle of the night, i woke up with horrible sharp pain in my abdomen that lasted for hours. I could not sit, stand, or sleep for few hours. Finally my husband gave me some homeopathic medication, that cured it and i fell asleep. Got up next morning with pain this time it comes and goes and comes and goes lasted through out the day. I still have it and 'm on my third day of period. I ate something and it came back. It comes and goes. it put me to bed all day yesterday because i couldnt even stand on my feet. I felt nauseous. The sad thing is none in your family can understand how you are feeling. They just think it as usual symptoms of period. It brought me tears going through this horrible pain. Yes gas is a predominant symptom of endometriosis as my experience shows. This is not the first time i faced it, many times before too.So watch what you eat before a few days , during , and after a couple days of menstruation. The lesson I learned. Eat light and easy to digest foods like soups and veges. See if that helps. Abstain from fried and food that feels heavy to the stomach. Drink plenty of good source of liquids like organic fruit juices and water. I am determined to do that based on my research on it. Hope this helps you in some way.
|

replied April 11th, 2012
I really appreciate you guys putting your info out there. I finally believe that someone can relate and understand what i'm going through after suffering from endometriosis for the past seven years now. The gas pain, oh my god, its terrible, it's worst that the period pain. I have to stop from work because of it, having the period pain is one thing but all the little friends it brings with it is just awful.
|

replied June 11th, 2009
Experienced User
Oh boy, I have been having a lot of endometriosis symptoms and I have been having a lot of painful gas but I had no idea gas could be a symptom of endometriosis. This really scares me because I want to have kids soon and I know endometriosis can cause infertility. If only I was able to see my doctor!
|

replied June 24th, 2009
Endo symptoms
hi! i felt a little better after reading your comment. I thought i was the only person going through this horrible symptom. I am suffering from endo for the past few years. I have been in horrible pain for the last two days, first day of period was fine. But that day, i had to eat some heavy foods that were fried, and some bread made with wheat, some nice friends had invited us over. I hated to excuse myself because of having my period. I also didn't want my husband end up not going because of me.So i went. That day middle of the night, i woke up with horrible sharp pain in my abdomen that lasted for hours. I could not sit, stand, or sleep for few hours. Finally my husband gave me some homeopathic medication, that cured it and i fell asleep. Got up next morning with pain this time it comes and goes and comes and goes lasted through out the day. I still have it and 'm on my third day of period. I ate something and it came back. It comes and goes. it put me to bed all day yesterday because i couldnt even stand on my feet. I felt nauseous. The sad thing is none in your family can understand how you are feeling. They just think it as usual symptoms of period. It brought me tears going through this horrible pain. Yes gas is a predominant symptom of endometriosis as my experience shows. This is not the first time i faced it, many times before too.So watch what you eat before a few days , during , and after a couple days of menstruation. The lesson I learned. Eat light and easy to digest foods like soups and veges. See if that helps. Abstain from fried and food that feels heavy to the stomach. Drink plenty of good source of liquids like organic fruit juices and water. I am determined to do that based on my research on it. Hope this helps you in some way.

My reply to the person above:
I think you've answered my question, because I've been experiencing crazy and unberable gas/ pain during my period. Last month I had a few pieces of cheese and a piece of cake and went 2 sleep woke up in the middle of the night screaming...I couldn't sleep, walk, or sit I eneded up taking every med I could get my hands on in order to get through the night. I had a final the next day, I ended up going to the ER because the pain kept coming and going and u know what they diagnosed me with : anxiety and depression. Gave me birth control to take with an anti anxiety because supposedly stress has alot to do with painful periods. I absolutely refuse to believe stress alone causes such excrusiating pain. I was wondering did u get on birth control at all? and has it helped?
|

replied June 25th, 2009
Experienced User
Re: Endo symptoms
[quote
My reply to the person above:
I think you've answered my question, because I've been experiencing crazy and unberable gas/ pain during my period. Last month I had a few pieces of cheese and a piece of cake and went 2 sleep woke up in the middle of the night screaming...I couldn't sleep, walk, or sit I eneded up taking every med I could get my hands on in order to get through the night. I had a final the next day, I ended up going to the ER because the pain kept coming and going and u know what they diagnosed me with : anxiety and depression. Gave me birth control to take with an anti anxiety because supposedly stress has alot to do with painful periods. I absolutely refuse to believe stress alone causes such excrusiating pain. I was wondering did u get on birth control at all? and has it helped?[/quote]

I hate it when doctors prescribe antidepressants and antianxiety medications when they don't know what the problem is. I hate being treated for symptoms! Don't take the anxiety/depression meds. I can assure you they WILL cause more problems than they can cure!! Keep trying to find out what is causing this pain. It is your body and nobody else knows it like you do or will fight for it like you.
|

replied June 27th, 2009
you're absolutely right. The doctor was extremely rude and did not even hear me out. I told her I was constipated for over a month which is a symptom of endemetriosis as well, i've also began having food allergies which is another sypmtom. I just started taking birth control to help with the pain, it's kinda helping but I still feel extremely tired. im looking to see another doctor soon hopefully shell have some answers for me.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
Natalie, I have not taken any birth control pills yet. Although doctors suggests that birth control pills may help, due to the side effects of it i have not taken it. I rely mostly on homeopathic medication which seems to be of some help to me. I also find out that the doctors these days are all about treating symptoms and not patients. I went recently to the ER due to shortness of breath for unknown reasons. Went to see the doc and even before helping me with my problems, she concluded that i had depression and anxiety. She gave me medication for it, which i discarded. Later on after the spring season had ended, it went away. Never occured again. Was seasonal allergy induced asthma or something. Isn't that horrible what the medical system doing to people, for people like me that fight with endometriosis and many other related symptoms because of that, Medical industry is clueless about the different problems I go through and they are not doing anything to help endometriosis patients. I know that there is no real cure for it. Watch what we eat, reduce stress, and exercise. I have no desire to take birth control pills that most likely ends up causing other problems . I am not prepared to go through any more painful symptoms than what i already suffer.
|

replied May 3rd, 2012
I think my birth control helps. When I don't take it regularly I have more pain than when I take them correctly.
|

replied October 10th, 2009
Experienced User
Am fascinated to see the 'wind' connection to endometriosis! I have been suffering for the past year with awful wind cramps, especially bad at period time, also now my periods have become irregular. I have been told I have IBS most likely, but now my doctor has referred me to a gynae, so hopefully this will sort my wind problem out too!
|

replied October 29th, 2009
Endometriosis and gas-pain!
Severe gas cramps - I thought I was the only one having this problem! Especially during / the first days of the period it`s absolutely horrible. I sometimes even think it is causing more pain than the actual mens-cramps.. I was diagnosed with severe Endometriosis 3 months ago and was operated twice since than. The 2nd operation they took away `95%`of the Endometriosis that was everywhere. My uterus was stuck to my bowels, they loosened it withouth taking away a piece of bowel. Now, 2 Weeks after the operatian I still have these Horrible pain when gas needs to leave my body. I hope it will dissapear, it hasn`t sofar and I know there is a definit connection between Endo and painful `wind`.. !!
|

replied October 30th, 2009
Experienced User
Hi, two colpermin 3 times a day before meals helps, also drink peppermint tea? I read somewhere recently that endo can mimic irritable bowel syndrome. But honestly, sometimes I am bent double with the pain, at least now I know it is probably treatable. I didnt get to see gynae yet, not til December!
|

replied November 9th, 2009
Experienced User
Perhaps I am imagining things, but is it possible to bleed from anus when having period? Or have blood in urine?
|

replied December 7th, 2009
Experienced User
Hi, re Gas and Endo. I spoke with Gynae on Friday and he says no connection between endo and my gas symptoms!! So that throws me back somewhat with my original symptoms....
|

replied January 12th, 2010
interesting with respect to the last comment. I was told I have a sever case. Honestly, my stomach is bloated so much, it is actually firm. I woke up this morning at 3:00 with unbearable pain that is still causing discomfort at 3:00PM. It causes nausea because of how extreme the pain is. It stems from my ovarian region but seems to radiate all over. A big problem is that the onset of this is SO sudden. It seems to peak within minutes, which leaves me in agony until my 4 aleve kick in. I am going in tomorrow for a check-up.
|

replied January 13th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi, how did your check up go? I was put on Nexium for inflamed oesophagus (sp?) - guess what, It has worked wonders for my wind cramps!! (maybe coincidence?) Honestly I dont know myself. I had a lap. on Monday just gone, turns out I dont have endo anyway. I still have gynae issues, and will be returning to opd in a few weeks. I do hope you are better today.
|

replied June 24th, 2010
Your endometrium can attach to your intestines and anything else in your stomach and cause problems, such as gas. If you're not passing gas with these pains, it could be ovarian cysts. I have a lot of sharp pains in my lower sides that I used to think was trapped gas but it turned out that I had cysts on my ovaries that could have been causing the pains. Endometriosis has been known to cause cysts.
|

replied June 29th, 2010
Many thanks BnN1710 for the info! I am having these symptoms and not passing gas. Now I know I have ovarian cyst as I had an ultrasound scan a few days ago.
Non of the doctors told me this and in February I was on a colonoscopy, of course it was negative.
I'm afraid it is time for a laparoscopy again...
|

replied June 29th, 2010
Many thanks BnN1710 for the info! I am having these symptoms and not passing gas. Now I know I have ovarian cyst as I had an ultrasound scan a few days ago.
Non of the doctors told me this and in February I was on a colonoscopy, of course it was negative.
I'm afraid it is time for a laparoscopy again...
|
12 >>