Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Endocarditis and its symptoms

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
User Profile
I've had to get my wisdom teeth out for quite some time now, for about 5 years. For the past 3 yrs, if i run my tongue past my one wisdom tooth that's laying sideways, it bleeds. IDK if this is an infection or not.. But if so I'm very late in wanting to do something about it. Could this possibly be endocarditis (my symptoms?) and everything going on because of the sudden MVR? Would ENdo have shown on blood tests? and if so under what section as I have the results in my hands. I was given a Zpack in march for possible epidimytis, then spectracef for sun burn in june, flagyl in june, and diflucan in july.. Could all of this maybe slow the onset of Endo??

Also, are my kidney's of normal size, and if i had any failure would all of these symptoms be related and to what degree? Could my kidney failure be causing a slight degree of heart failure? Would my kidney's be scarred if they were failing over the past 6 months or would it take more time?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2008
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A4544
Bleeding from the gums could indicate the presence of paradentosis. You may want to consult a dentist about this problem.

Endocarditis is a serious condition that is not manifested with gum bleeding. You might have symptoms of endocarditis (MVR, petechiae, and tiredness) but still there isn't enough medical evidence to confirm endocarditis in your case. Endocarditis causes lesions (vegetations, ulcers, abscesses, and destructions) on the heart valves that can be seen on echocardiography. Apparently no valvular lesions were detected by the ultrasound scan. Sudden MVR is a sign of endocarditis but you could also have MVR a long time that goes undetected. You are also missing certain other very important clinical signs (like fever) and laboratory (blood) evidence. ESR and CRP in the blood should be increased. If the endocarditis is bacterial the infective agent should be isolated from the blood.

The antibiotics you took can have an impact on the eventual endocarditis onset only if the provoker of the eventual endocarditis is sensitive to the antibiotics you took.

Chronic kidney failure can cause heart damage (pericarditis) but not endocarditis. I also don’t see any laboratory evidence (urea, creatinin, GFR, ability to concentrate the urine…) that you have any kind of kidney failure. The kidney's size could be an accurate parameter but only together with the laboratory results.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.