Medical Questions > Relationships > GLBT Relationships Forum

Emotionally Disconnected

User Profile
I just met a new man and we began seeing each other. I have no idea why I agreed to meet him (we met online), it just felt like a good idea at the time. So we've spent two evenings together talking and getting to know each other. He very clearly likes me, but I feel nothing toward him. I just feel emotionally disconnected. He's nice. Cute. Wonderful in many ways. But I feel nothing. Kissing him is fine, but I feel nothing emotionally. I don't know what to do? End it? I don't want to - partially because I have no idea how to end it and partially because I like the companionship. I don't have anyone else to hang out with. Part of me would like to continue so I can have the physical needs met, but I know that's not fair to him if he is going to fall in love with me.

I seem to be good at "pretending". Like, on a date, I'll be the perfect date. Ask lots of questions, be interested (but it's not sincere, it's more like I do it because I know that's what I am supposed to do), smile when he kisses me and nod when he asks to see me again.

If someone stopped me in the middle of all this and said, "Wait. Do you really want to see him again? Kiss him again? Would you care if you never saw him again?" I'd probably say, no... not really. But I pretend and act like I'm engaged and interested because it's what I think I am supposed to do.

So the bottom line is this guy thinks I'm a great conversationalist, a wonderful girl, and I feel... nothing. And I have no idea why.

Input?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2008
Supporter
either you need to run don't walk or it could be the m.e.d.s. ?? puzzld
|

replied December 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Sounds like you don't feel any chemistry with him. That's ok but you need to end it before he gets hurt and you feel badly for allowing him to get too emotionally vested in this relationship. This happens to many people. You just have to take the plunge and let him down gently. Tell him it is moving too fast. You need more time and space. I know you crave the social aspect of the relationship. You need to find a group of women that you have a common interest with. That will allow you to forge new friendships without the emotional pull of a romance. Do you like to read? There are many book clubs out there. They can be fun and offer you an avenue to meet many interesting people, both male and female. Who knows, you may meet the man of your dreams! Don't limit yourself to half a relationship. You deserve more than that.
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Never string a person along.It is hateful and hurtful.If you feel nothing romantically for them then be a good person and tell them that you just want to be friends so that they can move on and find some one who will love them for real..
|
Users who thank homerx for this post: JYoungBear 

replied January 3rd, 2009
Experienced User
I fully agree with homerx. You never want to string someone along, it just leads to nothing but hurt feelings in the end. Tell him straight up.
|
Users who thank JYoungBear for this post: homerx 

replied January 3rd, 2009
first of all any relation need time... secondly if u realy want nothing form or with him tell him clearly it will help u both......
|
Quick Reply