Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

ELISA test

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Suppose that 4 to 6 weeks after a questionable sexual encounter, a person gets some of the symptoms of ARS (fever, swollen lymph nodes, rash). I realize these symptoms could be due to other things, but let's suppose they arise because the body is fighting off the hiv virus. Does this mean that a standard ELISA antibody test done at the 3 month mark would be almost surely positive?

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper midgeure
|

replied November 5th, 2008
Supporter
Yes whether or not you show symptoms an ELISA test done at 3 months is, so they say, 98% effective but to be sure you have to wait 6 months.
|
Users who thank unknown88 for this post: homerx  Depressedman 

replied March 15th, 2009
Testing after six months is recommended only for people who have weakened immune system (caused by disease or medication) and for people who were undergone an antiviral therapy which might have decreased the number of viruses in the blood to undetectable level and would need additional three months to reach the detectable level.

So unless that applys to you then 3 months is conclusive.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2009
Supporter
Six months is conclusive.

The doctor catches 98% of the people in the first test that are positive+. There is another 2% that take six months for the antibodies to show up that they are fighting HIV.

Muthoni (Mson)
curtsey
|

replied March 17th, 2009
You must have read out of an outdated manual. My friend teaches with the CDC and the training manual which states 3 months is conclusive. Those that may take longer than 3 months are those that are taking chemo, antirejection drugs for transplants and chronic IV drug abusers those are the rare people we are talking about who maybe need to test out to 6 months. Your test is conclusive though.

as soon as you have a negative at 13 weeks then you know you are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Anyone who tells you differently than that doesn't know what they are talking about. I say that because 6 months used to be the measure but that is long outdated because HIV tests are more sensitive now. So you don't have to worry about HIV in relation to this incident.

http://www.cdc.gov/HIV/topics/testing/reso urces/qa/be_tested.htm

In fact that is very conservative and most advanced testing centers including some states in america and all of Australia have 6 weeks as their conclusive point, see below. HIV testing has improved drastically in cutting down the window period from 10-15 years ago.

We know approximately how long it may take a person to produce antibodies to HIV based on years of data, research and advancements in testing.

A person who has contracted HIV may show up positive as early as two weeks after the time they were infected. According to page 11 of the Module 6 Training Manual from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the vast majority of those who contract HIV will show up positive between 4½-6 weeks after infection.

To obtain a reliable test result, it is recommended that you wait at least six weeks after your last exposure. A tiny number of people may not test positive for three months. These are generally people with pre-existing immune disorders such as chemotherapy patients or recent organ transplant recipients who must take immune system-suppressing drugs. For this reason, many agencies will suggest a uniform three month test to cover everyone.

Testing beyond three months is completely unnecessary. 3 months is conclusive period. 3 month is considered conclusive for a 3rd generation anti-body test (used by NHS in the uk)

Recent testing guideline released in the uk suggest that 6 weeks can be considered near conclusive and a 4th Generation duo test (tests for antibodies and Antigen produced approx 10 days post exposure) can be considered >99% conclusive at 28 days.

6 month window period is now outdated and relates to older less sensitive 1st and 2nd generation tests, you would have been okay testing at 3 month.

3 month, 12 weeks, 90 days is considered conclusive with HIV testing. Wheather with Orasure, Oraquick, home Access or Blood test 12 weeks is consider conclusive. A 3rd Gen Elisa test is consider encouraging at 6 weeks, and the all clear by 10 weeks. 4th Gen Elisa, is an 3rd Generation ELISA test combined with a P24 test and is consider conclusive at 6 weeks. In a 4th Gen. test, If the Elisa test doesn't catch the antibodies - the P24 test will catch the actual virus. The 4th Gen test is used in Massachusetts and a few other places. But most offices use 3rd Generation Test. Home Access is 1st Gen. test, and is conclusive at 13 weeks. The Generation just means the level of sensitivity to detect antibodies.

There are however instances when a person should test past 12 weeks:

1. IV drug users - Should test out to 6 months.(poss. 1 yr.)
2. Occupational exposures - a base line test, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months, and then a year.
3. High risk sex with a know POZ person. i.e. unprotected anal sex. Should test out to 6 months, but 12 wks should be conclusive for the most part.
4. If you have taken PEP. The window period starts after you finish taking the medicine. So you take PEP for 28 days, the the 13 weeks start on the 29th day. If you can't wait that long. A 28 day PCR test, combined with a 8 week ELISA should be conclusive after finishing PEP
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2009
Supporter
Midgeure
Different doctors say different things and it is not that any one of us is right or wrong. Some say 45 days is conclusive. Some say other stuff.

I read this on a UK site.

"So, it's better to wait for at least 3 months after the last time you were at risk before taking the test. It's also recommended by some to take the test again after 6 months, just to be sure."

Always
Muthoni (Mson)
curtsey
|
Users who thank Muthoni for this post: homerx 

replied March 18th, 2009
What you read was on

http://www.ukcoalition.org/HIV-Test/2902.h tm

which is just people giving opinions on when a test is conclusive most are not experts.

The most universally accepted for a conclusive result is 3 months. 6 months is out dated and only ever recomened now for people who those that are taking chemo, antirejection drugs for transplants and chronic IV drug abusers those are the rare people we are talking about who maybe need to test out to 6 months.

http://www.aegis.org/askdoc/ASKD031111.htm l

It means HIV test
results are only fully accurate three months after any risk exposure
activity. Quote from below

http://www.mnaidsproject.org/pdf/aidslineb rief/alb_200506.pdf

I don't know a single expert in this field who who disagree with this, although Im sure there is. In fact in Australia/Sydney who are the most advanced and have done most research in this field in the world say 6 weeks is conclusive with a 4th generation P24 Combo test and even REFUSE to test anyone again if they have tested negative at 6 weeks.

It's about making a decision based on the VERY best and most advanced research in the world as to when a test is conclusive. At the moment Australia is way ahead in HIV testing and research and Sydney is the best in the world as also backed up by Dr HHH

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/730465

Also

H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.
Male
Seattle - WA

CDC's figures are conservative. During an HIV/AIDS scientific meeting about a year ago, with about 300 HIV experts in the room, the moderator asked whether anybody had seen a patient with a positive test delayed more than 6 weeks using the newer tests that have been routine in the past few years. No hands went up. Even CDC's own advice is that it is never necessary to test beyond 3 months.

Please accept the experts advice and the most modern testing centers advice.
|

replied November 28th, 2011
I was tested at 6 weeks from "possible exposure" then I tested again at 11 weeks and 6 days my doctor said I am fine and he has no reason to believe I need to test again. I'm curious if that one day of 12 weeks matters ??
Thank you
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2009
Supporter
I am old fashioned and I must agree I don't know much about the newer tests. I am going with what has worked for so long. Not tests where people doubt later if they positive or negative. I believe in the blood test. Nothing rapid. Very Happy

thanks for your input.

Muthoni (Mson)
curtsey
|
Users who thank Muthoni for this post: homerx 

replied July 31st, 2010
thank u freinds for ur comments...my life was goin like hell for past 2 days.but my test reprt showed negative and below the result there was a note like that you may have to test after 9 months,its nt confirmed yet. after reading this comment..i can be assured that my exposure was around 3 months before nd now my elisa test is negative as of now..i think after goin thruogh this comments i shudnt go for..western bolt test.am i rght..pls guide me!!
|

replied August 20th, 2010
elisa optical density
hi,
i have taken the elisa test after 9 weeks, and i got the result like 0.05 OD which is mentioned as negative. i can believe this? please tell me. 0.05 OD is Normal? it will be there in all human body?
|

replied October 21st, 2010
Are you sure you the test didn't read <.05 and have a negative after it - a lot of test show <.1 or .05 for whatever reason and then have a negative.
|

replied August 26th, 2011
midgeure,

Are you saying that ELISA test is conclusive after 3 months?

I only did ELISA Test after 5 months and 3 weeks, and its Negative. Do i move on, or shall i repeat thistest again

Reason being because, i do have weak immune system, whereby i fall sick very often, and im afraid HIV antibody is not developed yet.

And up till now, im still having the symptoms, such as tiredness, and body ache. What should i do?
|

replied January 5th, 2012
Hi all ,

I did a rapid test and the ELISA 4th Gen at 11 weeks and it came negative but now im asking myself how conclusive is that and whether do i need to take another @ six months but that's too long as anxiety is not on my side .
|