Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Elevated Liver Enzymes, Gall Sludge, Enlarged Spleen

Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
Hi,
I was recently at my doctor for a physical. I had some problems that appeared to be gall attacks. I also mentioned my stool is often yellowish and sometimes my eyes are slightly yellow. The doc sent me for blood tests and they came back that my liver enzymes are slightly high. He suggested that i lose about 20 lbs and they should return to normal. However he also sent me for an ultrasouund to look at my gall. What thye found was some "sludge" in my gall and also found an enlarged spleen. Now he tells me he wants me to consult with a surgeon. I don't know what is going on but I really do not feel that a surgeon should be my next step. I really do not have many symptoms of anything except what I mentioned, light stool, occasional slight yellowing of eyes and also sometimes fatique before the day is over(not too often, besides who doesnt get tired?). I do have some back pain on my left side where the spleen is likely located. I am now taking an Acidophilus Proboitic with live enzymes (self prescribed) and have since had very little gall symptoms.
I'm just wondering what could be going on and what my next step should be?

Read more: Spleen Forum - Enlarged Spleen, Elevated Liver enzymes, gall sludge http://ehealthforum.com/health/enlarged-sp leen-elevated-liver-enzymes-gall-sludge-t2 98132.html#ixzz1VByobeft
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

The common presentation due to gall bladder dysfunction include - Pain or tenderness under the rib ‎cage on ‎the ‎‎right side , Pain ‎‎between shoulder blades, Stools light or chalky colored, Indigestion after ‎eating, ‎‎especially fatty or ‎greasy foods, ‎‎Nausea, Dizziness, Bloating, Gas, Burping or belching, ‎Feeling of fullness or ‎food ‎not digesting, ‎Diarrhea (or ‎‎alternating from soft to watery) and or ‎Constipation. ‎

Presence of sludge in the GB is indicative of GB dysfunction due to reduced motility.

To make a proper assessment in your case a HIDA SCAN may be advised by your doctor.

In case the HIDA scan is done and it shows the Gall bladder function to be less than 35%, then it will be conclusive about your symptoms being due to Gall bladder dysfunction.

Improved diet (Avoidance of high fatty foods and grease), Physical exercise, weight loss provide the best results ‎in ‎‎individuals with low functioning gall bladder. Medicines to improve digestion and cleanse the gall bladder ‎can also ‎‎be prescribed to help in improvement of your symptoms.

If not controlled , Surgery would be the best option.

Consult your treating doctor for a proper advice.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.