Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

elevated AST in blood work?

Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
User Profile
I just had had blood work done. Everything came out within the normal range except my AST levels were high. Granted, I partied too much, resulting in me drinking too much alcohol while in college, however, since the blood test, which was about a month ago, I have completely stayed away from alcohol and medication. I do not drink too much medication, only about once a month over the counter. Also, I recently heard that strenuous exercise will affect the AST levels to be elevated, and I do exercise on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I did not find out about the exercising until yesterday and I exercised the day before, which was the 6th. My next doctor appointment is on the 19th and I am supposed to have new blood work done a week before, which would be the 12th, making it six days after exercise. I tried new exercises, which resulted in my muscles being sore. So, my question is, how many days before the blood test should I not exercise? Should I postpone my appointments for another week

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2011
Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Answer A21725
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) – an enzyme found in the liver and a few other places, particularly the heart and other muscles in the body.

The normal referance range of AST is 7-27 units/ L.

The increase in AST after exercise depends on the severity post workouts. A exercise routine that causes severe muscle soreness, pain and fatigue results in moderate elevation of enzyme levels. And the return of the levels to normal depend on the rate at which the muscles recover. Usually adequate rest and hydration will help muscle recovery within 2-3 days (Post severe muscle soreness).

Hence after this duration of 4-5 days the muscle enzyme levels might be normal.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.