Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Electrical shock and jerks?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
I have had this for 4 years. first it started as a random shocklike feeling from my left eye/head down to my fingers, just a quick little shock, Dr. then uped my Celexa, that worked for 6 months or so, then it came back but stronger, still always on the left side down to fingers and tes, leaving a tingling in fingers and toes. Multiple test have showed that my body skips REM and slow wave sleep, I have hyperreflex and servere myclononic jerks. Excessive daytime tiredness. Dr. thinks I may have Narcolepsy, but even though they seen the epileptic form activity I explained on the video EEG, they don\\\'t really know what that is. When I get my window of energy during the day, I will clean or something, but after a half hour or so of my cleaning moving around bending up and down going up and down steps I will suddenely get that electrical shock feeling on my left side, this is different than the feeling of the myclonoic jerks, soon as I lay down those start, could be a toe,or whole bo

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2010
(online)
Neurological Disorders Answer A17245
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I am glad to help you out. The tingling/shock like sensations that you are having can be due to paresthesias. Tingling on the left side means that there may be an abnormality in the right side of the brain.

It can be a neurological pathology like motor neuron disease, TIA or stroke or autoimmune condition like multiple sclerosis in which the immune system attacks the central nervous system (CNS), leading to demyelination. It can be diagnosed by MRI brain and MRS of the brain. Other possibilities are vit B12 deficiency,diabetes, hypothyroidism and hypoparathyroidism.

I would suggest you to consult a neurologist and get these possibilities ruled out. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.