Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Electrical sensation in head

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
For the past couple of years, I've had a very strange sensation that has come for days/weeks/months at a time, then disappeared for a few months, off and on.

I'll try my best to describe what is happening.

A sensation like an electrical zap starts in my head, lasting a split second, then travels down my body. It isn't especially painful, but it is startling and accompanied by a hot flash and a bit of light headedness. Moving my eyes from side to side or walking around seems to set it off.

I've had an MRI and an EEG, both came out "normal." I recently had a physical and the doc said I'm healthy. The only medication I take is Lexapro (10 mg) for anxiety & depression.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I just need it to STOP. It's really ruining my life and the doctors don't seem to know what it is!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 3rd, 2008
by the way
I forgot to mention that it seems to get worse as the day progresses, worst in the evening. for some strange reason, I think that taking my Lexapro helps it, because about an hour after I take my pill, I notice it's better.
|

replied June 8th, 2008
I have gotten these pains as well.Only three times though I took lexpro for about 2 weeks and got off of it becaus it made me shaky. Now I am on prozac and still feel shaky you are most likely ok cause you have had an mri I am getting one this tuesday I will let you know what comes from it.
|

replied June 23rd, 2008
Antidepressants and Electric Feelings
I have been getting those weird electric shooting feelings in my head too. Not when I'm asleep, but like every time I stand up or bend over. They start in my brain and go through my whole body.

It's pretty unpleasant, but not that painful, and it doesn't seem to affect my performance.

After reading this website, and a few others, I believe it must be related to taking SSRI's and/or SNRI's. I have recently stopped taking Cymbalta and then this started. Come to think about it, it's happened before and I've been taking Cymbalta, Lexapro, Tramadol, and a few others for about five years (not at the same time).

I don't expect the manufacturers of the meds, or the doctors, are going to admit this is going on. My opinion of the entire medical profession is that doctors would do better if they listened to patients instead of to advertisers.

I intend to get off all the meds, and I intend to do it by myself with no help from doctors. All they do is push more pills. I am sick of all the publicized and unpublicized side effects. The legal pills are apparently more dangerous than the illegal ones.

So, in a nutshell, I have become convinced after five years of searching the internet (and a Master's degree in neuropsychology), that the shooting electric sensations and a lot of other weird neurological effects are due to selective serotonin/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors; antidepressants. Thank you for posting your experience. Every little bit helps.
|

replied June 23rd, 2008
Some links
I did some more research after posting this, and found some websites that seem to confirm this phenomena. Here are some links.

I don't agree with everything I read on these, but I believe in freedom of information. Please read with a grain of salt, and apply only what you need to yourself. My recommendation is JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_zaps

http://www.unapproved link removed/archives/pharmacy_qa/stopping_anti depressant_makes_brain_shiver.php

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/medication s_depression.htm

http://www.howtodothings.com/health-and-fi tness/a4391-how-to-understand-brain-shiver s.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=-_f8jNs8f DwC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=electric +shock+in+brain+antidepressants&source =web&ots=2NmOe73SQ1&sig=HIYlntxWAb RA12ES6VbZkwmb4ZI&hl=en&sa=X&o i=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result
|

replied June 25th, 2008
could this be ms
i get electrical shocks in my head that travels through my body
|

replied February 16th, 2009
is this going to go away
I have the electrical feelings and I am currently withdraling from Cymbalta. I have been taking a lesser dose for over a week and now am not taking any at all. The feeling is starting to make me very paranoid. I can't concentrate and I feel like I am going to throw up.
|

replied April 21st, 2009
open your minds
shock/electric/rev sensations "vibrations" are OBE symptoms, a person feels those and/or similiar just before an Out of Body Experience but most people get jolted out of the experience and never get Out o Body.

doctors will have no clue !

guys LAY OF PROZAC all of that CRAP !!

I sugest getting info on OBE's
|

replied September 17th, 2009
Electric feeling in head
Im 30yrs old. I 've been feeling this when I go to bed off and on since I was 11years old. I've been told its sleep apnea, my girlfriend all but called me insane last nite. Here are the syptoms:

-feeling of smothering, yet i am breathing fine
-paralized below the neck
-electric hum/buzz in my head lasting length of episode
-weird visions-like state, as if i can see and hear everything going on around me, but I cant respond and it kinda sounds jumbled
-the only thing that i can move is my head and neck and I try to shake myself out of the episode, but last night was the first time i could not. i was able to call for help...it was like my face would'nt move, but my mouth just happened to be slightly open to i hollared as best as i could and my girlfriend came to the room. I was able to talk and tell her that I could not move. She moved my arm for me... and it was like the paralizing feeling slowly went away. I was able to sit up- but I felt so funny afterward...like how your leg feels when it goes to sleep and you shake it out and try to walk...I felt like that all over for about 15-25 mins..

IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME WHAT THIS IS ...Please write me.Thank You!!
|

replied March 6th, 2010
I am taking 30mg cymbalta ED currently and I am having a mild electric sensation in the center of my brain. It is not painful just really intense for a second or two, pulsing on/off.

If anyone knows why this might be happening or can offer any comment please write me.

I am going to schedule a doc appt tomorrow. I have been feeling this only for a few months here and there since taking cymbalta for over 6 months now.
|

replied December 2nd, 2010
electric micro-shocks
I can't believe I found this post, I have exactly the same feeling AND I take (did take, rather, as I quit a few days ago) antidepressants! I take them for migraines though, not for depression, not that it matters. I was trying to explain this sensation to my wife, and it freaked her out, but it really doesn't feel that bad, especially not compared to my continuous and frequent migraines (yes they exist, they're not only rare and intense types of headaches as you here all know I'm sure). I have been convinced by your contributions and hope that the feeling will go away as I've stopped my pills. They didnt really help for the headaches anyhow. Electric shocks that start in my brain and travel through my body in an instant, they're not only figments of my imagination, they're real, other people feel them too! Thank you guys..
|

replied March 17th, 2011
Head 'Zings'
I searched for 'zings' and found this page.
I could never put my finger on why I experienced feelings of split second electrical shocks accompanied by very symmetrical patterns flashing at the same time (akin to what you see in a kaleidoscope).
I have suffered from these at random, mostly when I am falling asleep, sometime when a light is switched on (that�¢ï¿½ï¿½s the weirdest of all, and electrical supply being turned off or on can give the sensation).
I have had a few head knocks in my life but equally I have had brain scans which have found nothing....but, no one at any time has mentioned the taking of anti-depressants could be the reason.
I was on a course (can't exactly remember what but my doctor will have a record) for 6 months around 10 years ago, when I think about it the 'head zings' started soon after I stopped taking them. The tabs worked and helped my depression enormously but if this is a lasting effect I want to know where this may lead.
I now have unexplained vision impairment at random i n one eye and despite 2 years of every investigation that can be thought of everything seems clear an ok....are the anti depressants the reason for my problems? does it also explain the pains I get in my calf�¢ï¿½ï¿½s and again one which doctors can find no reason for. hmmmm, time to take this further I think.
Thanks for this forum, has certainly helped me focus.
|

replied July 29th, 2011
Electrical brain sensations
I have had unusual electrical sensations in my brain since I was young (I am now 57)--I have elevated art and musical gifts, some elements of synesthesia and other unusual mental traits---these things have driven me bananas for three or four decades (no brain injury)Psychs don't seem to know what to do with me as don't quite fit schiz or bi-polar profile--but this phenomenom does have an impact on my perspective of reality/space/time (meaning mine is very askew) At least three other family members have this problem
|

replied July 29th, 2011
I suffer from this too, several times in a nite, tonite included when getting to sleep. I also hear noise like pressure build in my ears at the same time. Can paralize me foe 1-2 seconds cant breath. Allmost shouted for help but couln't. As soon as i am fully awake in split second the pain and paralizing feeling as noise stops. Scared to sleep now in fact. Very intense tonite, wondering if it could kill me.
|

replied February 24th, 2012
Electrical Brain Waves
As Jim Scotland said light a light bulb moment went off ever since i moved in to a new apartment with those new energy saving light bulbs i have had the feeling of eletrical waves in my head.

curious investigator

ps and i dont take any medication except tylenol
|