Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Electric sensations when moving eyes only

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
I am terrified of finding out if something is wrong with me, but these symptoms have continually gotten worse over the past month or so...
First of all, I have not had so much as a head cold in at least a year. I experience terrible dizziness and can almost hear only what i can describe as like a "zzt zzt" sound when i move my eyes. Not my head, just my eyes. It is noticeably worse when I move my eyes to the left. Over the past week or so I started seeing double. It doesn't help if i cover one eye. I'm not on any medications, don't drink, and had my eyes checked roughly 4 months ago with a clean bill there.
My husband says he has noticed my tremors in my hands getting worse, but that's one of those things I never really noticed since i'm an avid pianist. I'm just starting to get worried because of the double vision and odd noise/sensation/whatever you want to call it. Please, if there's any recommendation of how I may even approach a doctor about this, let me know. I'm terrified of seeing doctors, as I have this stigma that they'll just think i'm crazy...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper El_Deuce
|

replied October 12th, 2010
That is exactly the side effect I get from medications I take for my severe O.C.D.. I feel and hear a buzz when I move my eyes and sometime move my head. It is like a slight feeling of dizziness and feels like I am being shocked by a low level electric shock in my head..it makes me uncomfortable but I know my symptoms are side effects of my medication and get worse if I dont take them.

If you are coming off a medication for anti-deppression this could be a withdrawal symptom.

Hope that helps
|

replied October 13th, 2011
Electrical, metalic sound and feeling in head with eye movement
Hi - did you ever find out what was causing this sensation when you moved your eyes from side to side? I am having the exact same symptom: When I move my eyes, (happens mostly with looking to the left), I get a metalic, electrical sensation and sound, accompanied by a dizzy feeling...as if my brain has to "re-set" itself every time I move my eyes.
I had this 15 years ago when I went of Paxil, and have never completely gotten over these symptoms, however, all of a sudden this has returned as severely as when I first started to wean off of the drug! After 15 years, I can't imagine why I am getting this horrible symptom which makes it difficult to fully function.
Please let me know if you have any further info:)
Thanks,
Karen
|

replied May 26th, 2012
Weird symptoms from eye movement
Hi. Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the same symptoms which started about a week ago. The hearing disturbance and this odd (but pleasant) tingling in my head and hands when I move my eyes to either side.
|

replied November 14th, 2012
electric shock feeling,in head and body
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhermitte%27s _sign

is might be MS,or spinal chord neck probs, or vitamin b-12 deficincy , good luck, see post,search around, dont stop looking
|

replied November 14th, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhermitte%27s _sign
might be MS,vitamin b-12 deficinct,or neck/spinal lesions or spurs, or youve been really stressed and your nerves need repairing, the tissue overing you nerves is weak,or under pressure, go to the doctor,read up on Lhermitte's sign, and dig in asap.
wish you well, my shocks are bad right now, and I just met my future wife, I want to live!!
|

replied January 14th, 2014
I have had these electrical surges with lateral eye movement for over a decade. Some days are worse than others. These "shocks" also come when I turn my head as in checking my blind spot when driving. These also cause a loud sound in my ears, like tinnitus extreme. I have felt these so strong they grip my chest and face. My lips and chin will tingle and go numb. I have asked doctors and they look at me like I'm crazy.
|

replied January 17th, 2014
I actually have the same exact thing that happens to me as well. I have looked forever and finally found out it is called "Lhermitte's sign". This condition can be caused from other conditions like multiple sclerosis, transverse myelitis, or any trauma to the central nervous system. I figured out that mine was caused from a concussion i had when i was very young. I now suffer from this condition, however it is not debilitating. Just thought i would share this with you, and thank you for sharing your story!
|

replied March 13th, 2014
Hi. Did you ever find out what this was? I'm having the exact same thing. For about three days now. When I move my eyes to the right I get a shock feeling through my head. Doesn't hurt but is very weird. Makes me nervous driving as it interrupts my vision and balance (kind of) enough to th
|

replied March 13th, 2014
(Continue)concerns me that I shouldn't be driving. I also get the three swishing sounds in my ears each time I move my eyes to the right. Thought Italy be something to do with blood pressure, stress and anxiety. Has anyone figured anything out???
|

replied April 14th, 2014
Zzzt sound when moving eyes
I have this too! The zzzt, zzzt sound when moving my eyes to the left and right. It will zzzt with each moving of the eyes for 4 times and then the 5th time, it is no longer there. But, it comes back within 30 seconds. Mine only happens in the morning. It is NOT Lhermitte's sign. Google Lhermitte's, not even close. Superior canal dehiscence is closer to my symptoms but I don't hear all the sounds in my body.
|

replied April 14th, 2014
I have this too! The zzzt, zzzt sound when moving my eyes to the left and right. It will zzzt with each moving of the eyes for 4 times and then the 5th time, it is no longer there. But, it comes back within 30 seconds. Mine only happens in the morning. It is NOT Lhermitte's sign. Google Lhermitte's, not even close. Superior canal dehiscence is closer to my symptoms but I don't hear all the sounds in my body.
|

replied June 6th, 2014
I get this too!! It's awful. Could it be from not taking anti depression meds between refills?
|

replied August 1st, 2014
I know exactly what everyone is describing and it freaked me out when I first experienced it. It happens only when I am walking, maybe sometimes when I drive but the answer is anxiety/depression meds. I am currentlt taking Effexor and if I don't take it the same time everyday, it will give me the "brain zaps" that you can feel thru your whole body. I am trying to get off of the meds and titrate sloooowwwly because of the horrible side effects of withdrawal. Going to start working out, lose some weight and get fit and hopefully stop taking all this crap that give you worse side effects than what it is supposed to be treating.Maintenance meds are one thing, but we have to get out of this dependancy of the pharmaceutical companies answer for treatment. Money is in the medication not in the cure for all of our ills. God Bless us all!
|

replied October 18th, 2014
weird feeling/sound with eye movement
I have the exact same symptoms/condition as the rest of you, however, I have never taken any type of antidepressant. So I can definitely rule that out. Along with the "white noise" sounds from eye movement, anytime when I'm at rest I can hear a very high pitched constant sound.I figured it was the frequency of my brain LOL. It has been that way since I was a kid, although I remember the noise being much louder then.I am 37 yrs old with a clean bill of health. I'd like some answers about what it is too.
|