Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Elbow Pain - Tip of Elbow

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
So for the past three weeks I have had a very sharp, very acute, shooting pain in the tip of my elbow when I put pressure in a very exact area. The area of pain is so acute that I could literally pin point it with a pen and can, at any time, find it exactly with the tip of finger, and when I apply the gentlest pressure it hurts like hell.

There is no other pain anywhere else in my arm and I have full range of motion and use of my arm and all joints. It is only when I put even the tiniest bit of pressure on that pin point area that an agonizing pain is felt. It feels exactly like a big piece of glass or a splinter is in my elbow except there isn't one.

There's no swelling. No redness. No prior injury. And if I mark the exact point of pain with a dot from a pen, then lift that area of skin off the bone, there is no pain in the skin despite me squashing and rolling and squeezing and desperately trying to recreate the pain.

And I NEED to stress that this isn't Tennis Elbow.

Any clue?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 29th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
PhantomHurtie,

It is not uncommon to have an enthesopathy (inflammation at the attachment of a tendon into bone) on the point of your elbow (the olecranon process). This is where the triceps tendon attaches. Sometimes, the patient may even develop a small bone spur on the point.

This can become exquisitely tendon right over that spot. Sometimes, the patient may even develop a bursitis over the area in the olecranon bursa. It the bursitis develops, then the patient will usually develop some swelling, warmth, and maybe some redness.

So, you may have an enthesopathy, +/- a little bone spur on the tip of the olecranon process.

If the usual home remedies of ice/heat as needed, elbow padding, and some NSAID medicine (if you can take it), then you may want to see an orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation.

Most of the time, these can be treated medically. But, in rare cases, surgical excision of the small bone spur and bursa is needed.

Good luck.
|

replied March 1st, 2013
what happened?
So what happened with your elbow pain? did it get better. My husband has exactly the same thing.
|

replied August 9th, 2013
I was wondering the same thing - the pain is intense and I was hoping someone on here knew the cause/ treatment

Thank you
|

replied August 10th, 2013
Intense pain when leaning on elbow tip
I have the same problem of intense instant pain when I lean, even very lightly, on one elbow a particular way (the usual unthinking way) but no other symptoms at any other time. I've tried to stop myself doing this for a couple of months but sometimes lean on it without thinking when I'm rolling over in bed. I can rub my elbow and feel nothing but there is sometimes a tightness when I bend my arm and point my elbow upwards - especially at night. If I repeat the action this goes away. The pain is very severe but I can't make it happen by doing anything except resting on it. I haven't seen a doctor as I can avoid the pain for the most part. However it does worry me so I'd love to hear anyone's advice.
|

replied August 13th, 2013
recently developed the same symptoms (as EmilyB87). I can't find the source of trouble looking at or manipulating my elbow. No rough skin, thorn, sign of injury whatsoever. I can manipulate the skin or probe the area... nothing.

But lean on my elbow in bed? No way, the pain is instantaneous and intense. What is this?
|

replied September 12th, 2013
HCL and Pain in Elbow-Bone Spurs
I am a nutritionist and have the same issue. However recently with increased intake of HCL (hydrochloric acid) to digest my food it has diminished. HCL dissolves bone spurs.
|

replied December 2nd, 2013
Any updates? I too have the intense craziness on the tip of my elbow when I lean on it!!
|

replied December 4th, 2013
I''m so glad I googled this, I''m right there with everyone. I bartend and have no problems with movement or lifting but a simple thing like leaning on my elbow is excruciatingly painful. It''s so bad at time that even my shirt rubbing on my elbow causes pain. I can pinpoint the small area it comes from and it''s been a mystery to me why it hurts the way it does. I''ve resorted to wearing a large bandage over my elbow and that''s helped a lot.
|

replied December 13th, 2013
Looks like we are having the same symptoms. I have had no other problems until the last few days. My forearm has been sore and I am not working out. Some searching has lead me to believe I am on my iPhone too much. And I know I am wasting way too much time on my phone. I wonder if my exact description of elbow pain everyone else has described is from overusing my phone? Mine is my right. Anyone else have it on their predominate use arm?
|

replied June 11th, 2014
Help
out of all you people nobody has found out what this is?
|