Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Elavil for insomnia ?

So my previous doctor prescribed me Ambien (Zolpidem) for sleep needs. However, I recently went to a new doctor and told him how my other doctor had prescribed me Ambien. He explained that generally Ambien is prescribed only in certain circumstances such as a tragic accident, etc. I tried to explain to him that I used Ambien in the past occasionally when my mind would not stop "thinking" and couldn't fall asleep. He then prescribed me Amtriptyline (which I guess is Elavil, brand name) and said take it as needed. Isn't this an antidepressant? And doesn't it take a while for pills such as this one to "build up" in your system to work effectively? I understand that antidepressants are sometimes used to treat insomnia, but in my case I feel that I would rather take ONE pill on the night that I cannot sleep, rather than taking this antidepressant night after night to get the "sleeping" side effects that I would like. What do you guys think? What do you suggest?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 1st, 2010
This guy is a quack - this is the year 2010 NOT 1955.As a person with Sleep Disorders since 1967 Ambien and a fast acting benzodiazepine are world's away from Elavil .... you hit the nail on the head. The less sleep medications (like Ambien) you take the better and more effective they are.

Get a second opinion. Elavil is a "shotgun" not a "laser" like the GABA-nergic medications like Zolpidem.
|

replied August 19th, 2010
I tried Midazolam and it was wonderful (until i discovered I'm allergic to it and all benzos). These pills aren't meant to be taken more than 2 weeks straight, though. But it made me sleep while 20mg of zolpidem didn't, so it MUST be good lol.
|